I need your help!

zc0201

I was so excited to join the pc master race but however, joining it had became a problem. My dad has an old thinking, he force me to choose a prebuit pc because he said prebuilt pc are more reliable since there built by 'big companies'.But he calls me to get one prebuilt at least an i5 processor for under 500usd or don't even bother buying a computer. The struggle is real that I just wanted to game at a peace of mind but an i5 without a freakin gpu couln't game! I need your help right now for me to convince my dad over the old mindset. I am just 16 and i don't have that much money to buy a pc.SO the best way would be reaching out my dad but yeah.........i need your help 

Get him to pay for the prebuild PC, save up some extra cash yourself, and buy a nice GPU... Problem solved?

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Get him to pay for the prebuild PC, save up some extra cash yourself, and buy a nice GPU... Problem solved?

So here's the thing, i saved up about 100us for a new pc and to be added to my father's budget which is 400+my 100 us so if i really had to save up for a new gpu i need like several months to get a good gpu........However if i get a budget processor and a good gpu it would be great since i don't game hard just normal league of legends, overwatch and others so that should do me well for a good time but my father refuses. FML

2 minutes ago, zc0201 said:

So here's the thing, i saved up about 100us for a new pc and to be added to my father's budget which is 400+my 100 us so if i really had to save up for a new gpu i need like several months to get a good gpu........However if i get a budget processor and a good gpu it would be great since i don't game hard just normal league of legends, overwatch and others so that should do me well for a good time but my father refuses. FML

Where are you currently located? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Tell him this huge company makes you pay them huge $$$ for underpowered pc components their just milking you out making your own can cost less and perform more

Alright, here's a message for your dad. Show him this.

Hi zc0201's dad,

I'm typing this out because of two reasons. The first being your son is passionate about joining the 'PC Master Race'. The second reason is simply because I'm bored.

The main problem in getting a prebuilt is the price. They're often priced much more than what they're actually worth and therefore are wasteful investments of money in general. A $500 build-it-yourself rig would perform much, much better than a $500 overpriced prebuilt.

The second revolves around reliability which is what I understand you are most concerned about. Since PC boutiques need to make a profit, they often 'wow' with the high-end CPU or GPU and cheap out on a low quality power supply. The power supply, of course, supplies power for the entire rig. If it's low quality, the worst that can happen is that it can potentially take out components of your PC or spark. With building your own PC, this can be easily avoided by picking a proper one.

Lastly, bloatware. Most prebuilts come with it. I doubt you or your son will want to deal with it.

As for benefits, PC building is a great experience. It forces people to be competent whilst being easy and forgiving (most of the time).

So, as a member of the LTT Forum and as an experienced techie in general, I'll kindly ask you to consider my points above.

Regards,

HKZeroFive

If your dad still insists and you're located in the US, you can ask the folks at NCIX US to build one for $50.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

15 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Where are you currently located? 

uhhm why does that matter??

Country/region, and people can tell you where to find good stuff, or good help. We don't need your city or home adress. (unless someone is willing to send you their "old" pc)

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Alright, here's a message for your dad. Show him this.

Hi zc0201's dad,

I'm typing this out because of two reasons. The first being your son is passionate about joining the 'PC Master Race'. The second reason is simply because I'm bored.

The main problem in getting a prebuilt is the price. They're often priced much more than what they're actually worth and therefore are wasteful investments of money in general. A $500 build-it-yourself rig would perform much, much better than a $500 overpriced prebuilt.

The second revolves around reliability which is what I understand you are most concerned about. Since PC boutiques need to make a profit, they often 'wow' with the high-end CPU or GPU and cheap out on a low quality power supply. The power supply, of course, supplies power for the entire rig. If it's low quality, the worst that can happen is that it can potentially take out components of your PC or spark. With building your own PC, this can be easily avoided by picking a proper one.

Lastly, bloatware. Most prebuilts come with it. I doubt you or your son will want to deal with it.

As for benefits, PC building is a great experience. It forces people to be competent whilst being easy and forgiving (most of the time).

So, as a member of the LTT Forum and as an experienced techie in general, I'll kindly ask you to consider my points above.

Regards,

HKZeroFive

If your dad still insists and you're located in the US, you can ask the folks at NCIX US to build one for $50.

ok thanks i am not going to show this to my dad but i am gonna try convincing him with yo opinion. Thanks <3

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Country/region, and people can tell you where to find good stuff, or good help. We don't need your city or home adress. (unless someone is willing to send you their "old" pc)

okay

1 minute ago, zc0201 said:

uhhm why does that matter??

So that I can look for pre-build machines that will actually be available to you. Just to clarify I'm not asking for your address or even the city you live in.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

So that I can look for pre-build machines that will actually be available to you. Just to clarify I'm not asking for your address or even the city you live in.

huh australia if that matters

Just now, zc0201 said:

ok thanks i am not going to show this to my dad but i am gonna try convincing him with yo opinion. Thanks <3

Yeah, the letter part was just a joke. My points still remain valid.

Worst comes to worst, show him this thread or get NCIX to do it if you're in the States.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

if you're in the States

He is from Australia...

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

He is from Australia...

Whilst I obviously did not see it because he posted it at the exact same time, thanks for pointing that out.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, zc0201 said:

I was so excited to join the pc master race but however, joining it had became a problem. My dad has an old thinking, he force me to choose a prebuit pc because he said prebuilt pc are more reliable since there built by 'big companies'.But he calls me to get one prebuilt at least an i5 processor for under 500usd or don't even bother buying a computer. The struggle is real that I just wanted to game at a peace of mind but an i5 without a freakin gpu couln't game! I need your help right now for me to convince my dad over the old mindset. I am just 16 and i don't have that much money to buy a pc.SO the best way would be reaching out my dad but yeah.........i need your help 

Get a ps4 pro its no point joining without at least a $700 dollar budget

dont bother getting a PC in Australia go for a trusty PS