My $200 Mistake

So this story started on thursday, it was 6:00 am getting ready for school while watching bitwit, so while watching a video talking about gpu temps and i said "hey let me check my gpu temps" and while benchmarking they spiked to 99c on my powercolor R9 380. So while in school and home i browsed on forums and the Internet to see what is causing this. I came to the conclusion that it had to do something with the copper block or the thermal paste. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday afternoon ago i dissembled the card and checked the copper heat pipes and tried to replace the thermal paste. So while trying to remove the heatsink and fans from the main gpu board by means of the 4 pin connector (this is where it goes downhill). I tried wiggling it out, nothing. Pulling on the cables gently, nothing. So i tried pulling on the cables a bit harder and the black wire popped out. So i said "fuck it" i reassembled the card by putting new thermal paste and slapped it in my pc. Then i noticed that the fans were not spinning even when the card was hitting 99C again. Turned out that wire was the fan tachometer and the fans would not spin. So after disassembling the card trying for 90 minutes putting the cable in the connector i contacted powercolor to see if i can rma. Turns out powercolors representatives do not even know their own rma policy so that didn't go anywhere. I said "screw it" and reapplied thermal compound and tried my best to place the black cable on top of the connector. Slapped it in my pc and i booted it up. Then i ran furmark and i heard the angles hear my cry for help, the fucking fans work. I let out a sigh of relief knowing that i did not just commit a $200 fuck up.

tl;dr: tried fixing my R9 380 broke part of the gpu fan connector and it worked out in the end

Edit: The temps went down to 81C after replacing the thermal paste btw

next time take your time :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

One lucky ducky.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •