Hi there.

I am bulding a modest gaming pc that should work also as my personal machine.

Meaning I am planning on dual boot (windows for games and adobe; debian for the rest).

Thing is, I am trying to decide over a mobo (nowadays Asus H110M-M.2 is on the top) but I am concerned about the BIOS coming with UEFI. Anyone know if it can be changed to legacy? Is there a f--g secure boot? I am aksing this because in the past I encountered problems between Linux and UEFI, and I wanna be sure it won't be the case with the new mobo.

thanks.

depends on the distro you are using

anything Ubuntu, including based on Ubuntu, have signed UEFI keys for Secure Boot - just not 10minutes ago I've booted Lubuntu live in UEFI mode

I use Gentoo with a UEFI mobo and have no issues with it, I've also used Ubuntu briefly with it and no problems as well. What kind of problems did you have?

On 10/15/2016 at 4:43 PM, hatuko said:

I use Gentoo with a UEFI mobo and have no issues with it, I've also used Ubuntu briefly with it and no problems as well. What kind of problems did you have?

Well I messed up a laptop that came with win8, uefi and secure boot.

It was a couple years ago, and I did not manage to install ubuntu or linux mint (don't remember). Ended up breaking the bios.

At the end I tried again and installed debian and just worked. So maybe it's already solved.

5 minutes ago, elvilelvo said:

Well I messed up a laptop that came with win8, uefi and secure boot.

It was a couple years ago, and I did not manage to install ubuntu or linux mint (don't remember). Ended up breaking the bios.

At the end I tried again and installed debian and just worked. So maybe it's already solved.

And of course, main issues were with the grub. Sorry I forgot.

5 minutes ago, elvilelvo said:

edit: dunni why this box above appeared nor how to delete it -.-

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2016 at 10:51 AM, zMeul said:

depends on the distro you are using

anything Ubuntu, including based on Ubuntu, have signed UEFI keys for Secure Boot - just not 10minutes ago I've booted Lubuntu live in UEFI mode

Signed UEFI keys? i never got that to work, i was told i had to do a lot of shit to get secure boot working on Ubuntu with UEFI boot. Could you explain how to get this to work then as on both of my machines it doesn't!

8 minutes ago, MLGMelon said:

Signed UEFI keys? i never got that to work, i was told i had to do a lot of shit to get secure boot working on Ubuntu with UEFI boot. Could you explain how to get this to work then as on both of my machines it doesn't!

huh!?

I downloaded the x64 iso from Ubuntu and used Rufus to create the USB thumb drive and .. poof done

SecureBoot
"Secure Boot" is a new UEFI feature that appeared in 2012, with Windows8 preinstalled computers. All current Ubuntu 64bit (not 32bit) versions now support this feature, but as PCs implementing support for it have only become widespread at the end of 2012 it is not yet widely tested, so it's possible that you may encounter problems booting Ubuntu under Secure Boot. If you do, please file a bug report against the shim package in Ubuntu, preferably using the command ubuntu-bug shim once you've installed with Secure Boot disabled. 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

huh!?

I downloaded the iso from Ubuntu and used Rufus to create the USB thumb drive and .. poof done

hmm, i always have to disable secure boot for it to work otherwise i get "secure boot violation(s)", i also used Rufus (made sure it was set to UEFI only etc). If i google around, even for recent versions people are saying you have to enrol your own keys to your bios, then sign the binaries with those keys etc... far too much hassle just to turn secure boot on, i'm not THAT bothered, but the fact someone got it to work makes me want to keep trying. I just tried it again this morning (i'm in the UK, it's like 7am!) and same thing, tried multiple USB drives for the laughs too.

Yeah i saw the link but it doesn't help :(

Edited by MLGMelon
boobs. better than a 2nd post, right?

1 minute ago, MLGMelon said:

hmm, i always have to disable secure boot for it to work otherwise i get "secure boot violation(s)", i also used Rufus (made sure it was set to UEFI only etc). If i google around, even for recent versions people are saying you have to enrol your own keys to your bios, then sign the binaries with those keys etc... far too much hassle just to turn secure boot on, i'm not THAT bothered, but the fact someone got it to work makes me want to keep trying. I just tried it again this morning (i'm in the UK, it's like 7am!) and same thing, tried multiple USB drives for the laughs too.

check the thing actually boots in UEFI mode and not in BIOS mode - check the link I posted in my previous post

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

check the thing actually boots in UEFI mode and not in BIOS mode - check the link I posted in my previous post

It is :) (i'm a tech guy lol) - Bios has 2 options, UEFI or No UEFI, there is no combo mode like most desktops (this is a laptop im using) - windows works fine in UEFI and i can verify that it is UEFI :)

4 minutes ago, MLGMelon said:

It is :) (i'm a tech guy lol) - Bios has 2 options, UEFI or No UEFI, there is no combo mode like most desktops (this is a laptop im using) - windows works fine in UEFI and i can verify that it is UEFI :)

I booted it in UEFI SecureBoot, Ubuntu sais SecureBoot is supported but issues might arise with some implementations

why haven't you checked with Ubuntu support?!?!

Just now, zMeul said:

I booted it in UEFI SecureBoot, Ubuntu sais SecureBoot is supported but issues might arise with some implementations

why haven't checked with Ubuntu support?!?!

I did, they referred me the whole enrolling your own platform keys, and i really dont want to have to do that.

I'll keep looking for a solution, including bios updates and stuff