Upgrading motherboard

If i upgrade my motherboard will i have to reinstall windows or buy a new copy, or will it just pick it back up?

Yes most likely you would have to do that in order to activate windows again.聽

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

If i upgrade my motherboard will i have to reinstall windows or buy a new copy, or will it just pick it back up?

In some cases Windows decides to just work and in some other cases it might not work.
But because Windows also runs without beeing activated, I wouldn't really care that much.
I use a unactivated Windows install right now and it's fine.

So I would first try to do the motherboard swap and then see if you need a new Windows key or not.

Assuming you still have the code,it'll ask you to reactivate windows with the same code or a new one,also your programs and stuff will still be there

My life

your windows license(oem) is tied to your motherboard unless you have a retail copy. So yes, you need a new license for a new motherboard

Core i7聽7700k聽Kabylake stock + Kraken x52聽| ASUS Z170-A聽| 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX聽| ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB聽| 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w聽| Corsair 460x RGB聽聽| Win 10 Pro 64 bit聽| Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse |聽Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

12 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

your windows license(oem) is tied to your motherboard unless you have a retail copy. So yes, you need a new license for a new motherboard

Do i need the windows key to boot back into windows or will it just not be activated?

you will be able to boot into windows if you install the drivers first, but windows will show as not activated

Core i7聽7700k聽Kabylake stock + Kraken x52聽| ASUS Z170-A聽| 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX聽| ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB聽| 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w聽| Corsair 460x RGB聽聽| Win 10 Pro 64 bit聽| Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse |聽Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Which version and which license? OEM license means you need to buy new one. Thats the drawback of cheap price. Win8.1 and older might require full reinstall after mobo change as windows doesn't like driver changing like that. Win10 is easier in terms of that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv