Friend built computer and got thermal paste everywhere!!

Hey,

Recently my friend built a pc, and called me for help because it wasnt posting. When I got there, and took off the cooler, there was thermal paste leaking out of the sides and it got onto the pins and in the socket of the motherboard. The pins were also bent because he didnt unlock the socket and then tightened the cpu cooler. I am pretty certain that the cpu is lost. However, the motherboard is fine except for thermal paste in the socket. Could that be fixed by soaking it in 99% isopropyl and letting it dry for a week? 

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, ledozo said:

Hey,

Recently my friend built a pc, and called me for help because it wasnt posting. When I got there, and took off the cooler, there was thermal paste leaking out of the sides and it got onto the pins and in the socket of the motherboard. The pins were also bent because he didnt unlock the socket and then tightened the cpu cooler. I am pretty certain that the cpu is lost. However, the motherboard is fine except for thermal paste in the socket. Could that be fixed by soaking it in 99% isopropyl and letting it dry for a week? 

Thank you!

yep, isopropyl is the way to get. then bent pins can be rebented correctly,and you can even try dropping a broken pin into it's corresponding socket.

prolly not as those bent pins could be a source of errors.

but yes, you could flood the socket with alcohol to flush the TIM, prolly won't have to wait a week.

do not use any brushes, appliances or things in the socket.

3 minutes ago, ledozo said:

Hey,

Thank you!

Ouch, what a disaster. First off, what paste is it?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

prolly not as those bent pins could be a source of errors.

but yes, you could flood the socket with alcohol to flush the TIM, prolly won't have to wait a week.

Ok, Ill try this. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

yep, isopropyl is the way to get. then bent pins can be rebented correctly,and you can even try dropping a broken pin into it's corresponding socket.

What tool would you suggest to unbend the pins?

Just now, ledozo said:

What tool would you suggest to unbend the pins?

Oh boy English ain't my first language, but you know the thing that's used to remove single hair at a time, ugggghhhh what's the fking word....

Just now, Flowey said:

Oh boy English ain't my first language, but you know the thing that's used to remove single hair at a time, ugggghhhh what's the fking word....

tweezers?

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

Tweezers?

8 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Yes that's the word ugghhh this is just one of those days isn't it

Haha, you're funny dude!

17 minutes ago, ledozo said:

Hey,

Thank you!

Gosh. Sounds like trouble. You can't RMA the board if that's the case. You have to be really patient and careful with bending the pins back, if not it'll break :/