Building on a carpet

I'm currently looking to buy parts for my PC, and I want to build it myself. However, I've heard when building a PC you should avoid building in carpeted area to avoid static electricity. I don't have a build area that isn't carpeted (apartment). Is there a way to still build the PC in a carpeted area?

A table? Don't worry a carpet won't kill you

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

A table? Don't worry a carpet won't kill you

I do have a table (my desk). Just thought it was a crucial part to avoid carpeted areas (first time PC builder a.k.a noob)

Just now, prostrike33 said:

I do have a table (my desk). Just thought it was a crucial part to avoid carpeted areas (first time PC builder a.k.a noob)

The worry with carpet is static buildup. Sock + carpet = ⚡️. Just where shoes and use a anti static wrist strap if possible. It should be fine. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

You could buy a Antistatic Mat or even just one of those wrist bands.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

The worry with carpet is static buildup. Sock + carpet = ⚡️. Just where shoes and use a anti static wrist strap if possible. It should be fine. 

All right. Thanks

Plug your power supply into the wall and turn it on then touch it every now and then if you are really worried about static. You could also build your computer outside. Just make sure to either complete it all at once or bring EVERYTHING back in when you stop working on it. Even if you only stop for a short period of time. It's not worth the risk of forgetting then leaving it out in the sun or the rain.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

Plug your power supply into the wall and turn it on then touch it every now and then if you are really worried about static. You could also build your computer outside. Just make sure to either complete it all at once or bring EVERYTHING back in when you stop working on it. Even if you only stop for a short period of time. It's not worth the risk of forgetting then leaving it out in the sun or the rain.

Alright. Thanks

31 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

I'm currently looking to buy parts for my PC, and I want to build it myself. However, I've heard when building a PC you should avoid building in carpeted area to avoid static electricity. I don't have a build area that isn't carpeted (apartment). Is there a way to still build the PC in a carpeted area?

You can put down a board to stand on just in case. Build the thing itself on your desk

i like trains 🙂