dual 60hz monitors vs a single 120hz monitor

ProAFKGuy

I have been debating whether to get dual 60hz monitors or to get a single 120 hz monitor. I already have one 60hz monitor and I mainly play games and edit videos for youtube. I can only afford one or the other right now but i could wait a couple months and get dual 120hz monitors. Please help!

What monitor do you have now?

How about 1 single 60Hz monitor but a good one in terms of colors, view angles, and fully adjustable, instead of 2 plasticky cheap 60Hz monitor.

Then again, if you are a hard core FPS player, or wants go 120Hz, but expect still terrible colors. I mean its fine.. blue will blue, red will be red, and so on... of course.. but I mean colors will be usually over-saturated to compensate the sun glass effect done by the 3D glasses.

What monitor do you have now?

How about 1 single 60Hz monitor but a good one in terms of colors, view angles, and fully adjustable, instead of 2 plasticky cheap 60Hz monitor.

Then again, if you are a hard core FPS player, or wants go 120Hz, but expect still terrible colors. I mean its fine.. blue will blue, red will be red, and so on... of course.. but I mean colors will be usually over-saturated to compensate the sun glass effect done by the 3D glasses.

I have a asus 22" monitor im not sure about the full name though

Monitor model is usually written on the frame of the monitor, or on the back.

Monitor model is usually written on the frame of the monitor, or on the back.
I have a asus VE228H

Yea, you have a pretty basic monitor. Like I said, if your not a big FPS player (like its the genre you play the great majority of the time), and play competitively.

I would look into the ASUS ProArt 23inch PA238Q, or the Dell U2312HM (and if money allows, and if you do more work, get a 16:10 monitor (1920x1200), such as the Dell U2412M. The extra height is very welcome). They are good build quality, you are covered with the inputs pretty much, fully adjustable stand, non glossy anything so that you can focus on your game and work as well. and they are entry level IPS panels, which will get you better visuals in games and work. If you are on a tight budget, one of the mentioned models are excellent choice. Of course, if you really want good colors, you have to cash out a lot more... but I am assuming a 300$-400$ budget, as that's about the price of an 120Hz monitor.

Also, keep in mind that to enjoy a 120Hz monitor, you need to have the computational power to run your games at 120fps. If you disable V-Sync in your games, and you don't even come close to 120Hz, then forget it, you'll be wasting your money.

Yea, you have a pretty basic monitor. Like I said, if your not a big FPS player (like its the genre you play the great majority of the time), and play competitively.

I would look into the ASUS ProArt 23inch PA238Q, or the Dell U2312HM (and if money allows, and if you do more work, get a 16:10 monitor (1920x1200), such as the Dell U2412M. The extra height is very welcome). They are good build quality, you are covered with the inputs pretty much, fully adjustable stand, non glossy anything so that you can focus on your game and work as well. and they are entry level IPS panels, which will get you better visuals in games and work. If you are on a tight budget, one of the mentioned models are excellent choice. Of course, if you really want good colors, you have to cash out a lot more... but I am assuming a 300$-400$ budget, as that's about the price of an 120Hz monitor.

Also, keep in mind that to enjoy a 120Hz monitor, you need to have the computational power to run your games at 120fps. If you disable V-Sync in your games, and you don't even come close to 120Hz, then forget it, you'll be wasting your money.

Ok thank you so much :)

Not to be a nit picker, but I have a s27a950, 120hz monitor, and even tough I don't have nearly enogh oopphh to run say Crysis 3 at 120FPS, (get around 70 lo-mid graphics), but it still feels a lot "snappier" than running it on 60hz panel with V-sync. And I haven't noticed any screen taring issues. // No disrespect, just pointing out that there are exeptions... =)

I looked in to 120hz but settled on ProArt Monitors

'snappiness' us all well and good but 60hz is plenty for gaming unless you're using 3d or, as Goodbytes said, play FPS competitively and need that extra edge.

The payoff for a beautiful IPS screen is much better deeper and more vibrant colours make all games more enjoyable.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

You raise a good point Dark_Nemesis. There is no doubt that a 120Hz monitor will be able to provide the best response time, because the pixels are super fast to be able to properly display 120Hz. Please note that all, without exception, response time mentioned on the box are essentially lies, instead of measuring the pixel change from black to white, or white to black, the manufacture picks 2 gray colors of their choosing, without being limited to the same color (see 1-2ms response time monitors) and measure how fast the monitor switches from 1 pixel to another. When you have 1-2ms, that the speed from the monitor that goes throw each line of the screen top to bottom feeding every line of pixels their new color info.... so as you can see it makes no sense. And the manufacture does say that they are doing this.. that why you see: g-to-g, or gray-to-gray next to response time measurement. They admit that it's lies. The only one (which no one will give you) that mathers is w-to-b or b-to-w (black-to-white). So if I am not mistaken a 120Hz monitor should be at around 8-9ms true response time. Yes, you do get faster response time.

As for the extra frame, I doubt you see 60fps to 75fps. I know I don't and I have a CRT which I tried a while a go on a different discussion on a different forum, a long time ago. As a CRT user, I had my CRT to 85Hz which was no flickering (its a good CRT), personally I have not seen the advantage from 85 down to 60. I did see a 120Hz, and now I noticed the difference.. but the game was running at low setting with SLI graphics to get so many fps. For me, I don't think it's worth it. Playing games at low settings, bellow console graphics, it just a shame. I mean you have all this hardware by the artists that work behind the game art style, that's simply gone. But then again, like it's being said, if you care just for the competitive edge in FPS games, go for it. If not, then personally, I think it's not worth it. A game is far more enjoyable at max or near max settings with a great monitor to really enjoy the colors, the visuals, making you not only enjoy the story, the game play, the music (if you have good speakers/headphones and a dedicated sound card) and so on, but also the visuals.

My goal, is that the OP is really happy at the end. That's my goal in helping people. In the case for the OP, I just presented a third option to think about.

You raise a good point Dark_Nemesis. There is no doubt that a 120Hz monitor will be able to provide the best response time, because the pixels are super fast to be able to properly display 120Hz. Please note that all, without exception, response time mentioned on the box are essentially lies, instead of measuring the pixel change from black to white, or white to black, the manufacture picks 2 gray colors of their choosing, without being limited to the same color (see 1-2ms response time monitors) and measure how fast the monitor switches from 1 pixel to another. When you have 1-2ms, that the speed from the monitor that goes throw each line of the screen top to bottom feeding every line of pixels their new color info.... so as you can see it makes no sense. And the manufacture does say that they are doing this.. that why you see: g-to-g, or gray-to-gray next to response time measurement. They admit that it's lies. The only one (which no one will give you) that mathers is w-to-b or b-to-w (black-to-white). So if I am not mistaken a 120Hz monitor should be at around 8-9ms true response time. Yes, you do get faster response time.

As for the extra frame, I doubt you see 60fps to 75fps. I know I don't and I have a CRT which I tried a while a go on a different discussion on a different forum, a long time ago. As a CRT user, I had my CRT to 85Hz which was no flickering (its a good CRT), personally I have not seen the advantage from 85 down to 60. I did see a 120Hz, and now I noticed the difference.. but the game was running at low setting with SLI graphics to get so many fps. For me, I don't think it's worth it. Playing games at low settings, bellow console graphics, it just a shame. I mean you have all this hardware by the artists that work behind the game art style, that's simply gone. But then again, like it's being said, if you care just for the competitive edge in FPS games, go for it. If not, then personally, I think it's not worth it. A game is far more enjoyable at max or near max settings with a great monitor to really enjoy the colors, the visuals, making you not only enjoy the story, the game play, the music (if you have good speakers/headphones and a dedicated sound card) and so on, but also the visuals.

My goal, is that the OP is really happy at the end. That's my goal in helping people. In the case for the OP, I just presented a third option to think about.

... just to clarify (and not be smartass), the difference in FPS is not what I would call visible, it's more that some games feel different when moving around... And yeah, the advertised response time is BS, and also largely affected by input lag. I had the good fortune to test one before I bought it, so it's just my personal preferance compared to other monitors've tried. Ideally I'd like a good IPS panel for everything but FPS gaming =) in addition to the monitor i hve now, if only the budget would allow... Anyway, you know your stuff,(you seem to be everywhere on this forum BTW (: ) and I'm aware that my opinion is the minority in this case.

*PB238Q