Pinguy problams

OK, so ive got a new install or Pinguy (never really used Linux before) but ive ran into a few problems. now im sure some, or all, of the things im having problams are simple fixes but like i said, i dont have any experience with Linux really.

So first off, the readout thing on the desktop on the right had side, its only giving my my system usage info and processing that are running nothing else, do i need to set this up?

Second is a problem im having with steam, i have most of my games on other drives, when i try and add the folders it just says "new steam libary folder must be on a filesystem mounted with execute permissions"

Third is i have a Corsair K40 keyboard and a R.A.T 3 mouse. i cant change the backlight on the keyboard, the media keys work fine tho. As for the mouse it works for awhile then i cant click anything, swapped out for a old "basic" mouse and that works fine.

Fourth is that im using a 4K monitor but have to set it to 1080 as i cant find the scaling options.

I do realise that these problems are probably easy solves for most of you but im still getting to grips with Pinguy atm.

TIA

14 hours ago, johnmhigh said:

So first off, the readout thing on the desktop on the right had side, its only giving my my system usage info and processing that are running nothing else, do i need to set this up?

I'm assuming that is a Conky script, and they can be customized to show different information. Conky Homepage Arch Wiki: Conky

Second is a problem im having with steam, i have most of my games on other drives, when i try and add the folders it just says "new steam libary folder must be on a filesystem mounted with execute permissions"

Were the games previously installed in Windows/are those drives formatted in NTFS (windows file system) or a Linux filesystem like ext4 or some type of FAT? If so, you need to either move the games off those drives and format it to a Linux FS, or you need to install the Linux versions of those games. 

Third is i have a Corsair K40 keyboard and a R.A.T 3 mouse. i cant change the backlight on the keyboard, the media keys work fine tho. As for the mouse it works for awhile then i cant click anything, swapped out for a old "basic" mouse and that works fine.

I'm not sure what the problem with the RAT3 might be, but (I'm assuming?) the K40 requires a proprietary Windows program for the backlight colors, which you may be able to run through Wine, but no promises on that.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01