Back to school as an adult

Kynxx

Hi. I've been following LTT on youtube for a while and thought it would be a good idea to join the forums too. In advance, I apologize for bad english words and/or phrases.

In january 17, I'll be a student once again. 14 years since last time, and technology has gone from nokia 3510i and homework with pen and paper.

Now I'm going to use a cheap laptop I just bought. ASUS R417SA-WX022T 14" is the model name. 2 GB ram, 32 GB SSD and so on.

I'm going to use it for very simple office programs, some music and such.

And here I maybe get to the point: Is there any good, or "best" online backup solution out there that would store my files and/or for backup in case my laptop dies?

Today I use google drive, google keep for taking notes, google calendar, google photo and so on.

I have a gamer pc also working as a server at home. Is there any way for me to use the server as a automatic backup service for my laptop?

Windows 8.1 on the server/gamer pc. windows 10 on the laptop. My internet connection is 30/30 mbit fibreoptic internet connection, no caps. Can be upgraded to 500/500 mbit.

The internet connection at school I'm not sure. Yet I have 4G for my phone with a 20 GB data cap per month.

Any advice is much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Kynxx said:

And here I maybe get to the point: Is there any good, or "best" online backup solution out there that would store my files and/or for backup in case my laptop dies?

Can you not just press save every 5 mins?

5 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

I think OP means dies as in completely dead, not just battery.

5 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

If the HDD dies I think it's pretty useless

This is a signature.

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

The next step for me would be to answer "Why didn't I think of that?" :D

Well yeah. I'm sorry, maybe I should rephrase this maybe-existing-issue-in-the-future thingy:

When the job is done/file stored locally on the laptop, I would like to have a service that automatically uploads it to my server at home and/or google drive. I know it's enough to just put the file in my google drive folder and whoop, there it goes. Yet, I want it to be saved on a google drive folder that's not stored on the laptop due to the lack of disc space. :)

Just now, coonwhiz said:

I think OP means dies as in completely dead, not just battery.

Ah :P that makes more sense.

In that case, I would just back it up every night to a NAS rather than online.

7 minutes ago, Kynxx said:

The next step for me would be to answer "Why didn't I think of that?" :D

Well yeah. I'm sorry, maybe I should rephrase this maybe-existing-issue-in-the-future thingy:

When the job is done/file stored locally on the laptop, I would like to have a service that automatically uploads it to my server at home and/or google drive. I know it's enough to just put the file in my google drive folder and whoop, there it goes. Yet, I want it to be saved on a google drive folder that's not stored on the laptop due to the lack of disc space. :)

Would IFTTT work? I think they have a desktop app.  Nope.

An update to you ladies and gentlemen. I opened the laptop and found a bay for a 2.5" 7 mm hard drive. Just ordered a 240 GB SSD. AND I'm going to order an extra ram module. Sorry for my derp. And thanks for the help :)

On 10.10.2016 г. at 11:21 PM, Kynxx said:

~snip~

Hello :) Welcome to the community from me! 

As the guys suggested, a NAS should be a good option for you to access over the Internet and store all your data on it as well as backups. I could suggest checking WD My Cloud and WD My Cloud Mirror as options as they will give you the option to access them as storage devices over the Internet and keep your data safe on them regardless if you are on the same network or over the internet. Setting them up and using them is pretty straightforward and easy. Let me know if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/