USB Installation Help

Go to solution Solved by DAGGER51,
1 minute ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

So turn off computer.

Put usb in.

Go to bios

Select USB as booting device

Windows will make it easy and eventually ask you for a key which you bought.

Okay, thanks!  I just wasn't sure at first because I've never done it this way before.

Hello LTT community,

I just purchased a digital download version of Windows 10 from MyChoiceSoftware and have since then gotten an e-mail from them digitally "shipping" my order.  I've never installed Windows from a USB drive before, so some of this may seem elementary to some of you.  I downloaded an ISO file from Microsoft's media creation tool for Windows 10 and then used Rufus to format and place the ISO file onto my USB drive.  My question is, is that all I need to do, and just enter the product key from MyChoiceSoftware during installation?  Or is there something I'm missing, like something I need to download from the e-mail I got from MyChoiceSoftware?  I've never used MyChoiceSoftware before, but I chose them because they were a name I've heard before, and people online say they're reputable, and the fact that they were cheaper than Newegg or my local Micro Center.

Another question: do I need to be connected to the internet in order for Windows to verify my product key and for my computer to download all the files associated with Windows?  I'm asking because I know that whenever you buy a physical disk version, it ships with documentation for the activation key, and a disk with an ISO file, and I know that a DVD disk is only large enough to hold an ISO file, not the whole operating system.

Thanks,

DAGGER51

Just use the windows 10 media creation tool

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

It will do everything step by step and its easy.

Once it makes the drive, reboot your PC and go into the BIOS. Set the USB drive as the default boot drive, and then exit

It will then boot to the windows 10 installer, and then it should be fairly easy to go from there. Just enter your key when prompted.

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just use the windows 10 media creation tool

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

It will do everything step by step and its easy.

Once it makes the drive, reboot your PC and go into the BIOS. Set the USB drive as the default boot drive, and then exit

It will then boot to the windows 10 installer, and then it should be fairly easy to go from there. Just enter your key when prompted.

Yeah, I did that, but I created media for another PC, so how will the install process go with a digital download key?

1 minute ago, DAGGER51 said:

Yeah, I did that, but I created media for another PC, so how will the install process go with a digital download key?

So turn off computer.

Put usb in.

Go to bios

1 minute ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

So turn off computer.

Put usb in.

Go to bios

Okay, thanks!  I just wasn't sure at first because I've never done it this way before.

1 minute ago, DAGGER51 said:

Had to look it up first time I did it, glad I could help!