Does anyone here use Playstation Vue? If so what is your opinion on it?

Profoundsoup

Our family is looking to replace our cable box because its getting stupid expensive these days and I was looking to get PlayStation Vue for us. What are your guy's thoughts who use it on the program?

I DO, been using it since MARCH, it's hit or miss and you need to know what you are getting into for sure, for me it's only been a few minor issues, In the 6 months I've used the service I've had 3 nights that had buffering issues.

Couple pieces of info to start with that a LOT of people that post on the Support Forum for Vue don't seem to realize so I will mention them here:

1. YOU MUST have either a PS3, PS4, Fire TV or Roku device, you CANNOT START using Vue on a mobile device until you have first used one of the previously mentioned devices.

2. If you have an ISP that constantly changes your IP address to address that geo-locate all over the place you are likely to have continuing location errors (I don't have this but others have experienced it on an almost weekly basis due to their ISP's).

3. the Roku interface SUCKS BIG TIME, it has NO GUIDE, also neither does the Android Version.

4. if you are buying devices for different TV's BUY FIRE TV 4K BOXES, I say this because the Fire Stick is PAINFULLY SLOW (new model stick releasing in about a week and a half might be better) and since Vue is tied to your PSN account that means you can only use 1 PS4 and 1 PS3 at a time, if you try to sign into a second one you get logged out of the first one.

5. Vue DOES NOT use PSN SUB ACCOUNTS, so if you have the wife and kids on SUB ACCOUNTs they can't access Vue from there accounts, you have to sign in on the PSN account used to create it then within Vue create and select profiles (this is another point where Fire TV's are good because once you log in one time they don't have to know your PSN account info to keep signing in everytime).

6. DVR needs some work, it has no way to manually extend recording times so when recording LIVE events you need to record shows that air after the game as well, also the last 5-20 seconds of shows tend to get cutoff due to a time alignment difference between the stream and the guide, also DISNEY owned networks are HORRIBLE at DVRing things properly

7. SPORTS, specifically Football games have ALL KINDS of restrictions, like games aired on CBS get blacked out on NFL Network so if you don't get a Live CBS feed then you can't watch that game

8. Networks haven't acquired the streaming rights to ALL shows and movies so from time to time you will find shows and movies that CAN'T be watched like Ghost Hunters and some movies on TCM (i've been with the service since mid march and the ONLY times I've seen this is when someone said on the forum they couldn't watch it and I tuned in to confirm it.

All that said, I personally love the over all reliability that I've experienced with the service, the video on the Fire TV 4k is great for "live" tv and having a cloud DVR so that I don't have to worry about if I lose power or it rains to hard and loses signal like you see with Satellite is real nice. Definitely try the 7-day trial and see what you think of it and when you do it use either a PS4 or Fire TV 4k, the PS3 is almost as bad as the Fire TV Stick performance wise. It's definitely worth it in my book until another service comes along that offers ALL the channels I want, since I currently use both Sling and Vue. For me Vue is MUCH better then Sling.

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

-Clipped-

Thank for your input, exactly what I was looking for. So besides my ps4 my next option for a device to stream from is the Amazon fire 4k?

Just now, Profoundsoup said:

Thank for your input, exactly what I was looking for. So besides my ps4 my next option for a device to stream from is the Amazon fire 4k?

YES and I would suggest using Fire TV 4k's over the PS4 even, the PS4 is faster navigating through the menus but the PS4 only has a traditional fast forward/rewind where the Fire TV 4k uses the left/right navigation buttons to do 10 second skips that can be chained together by rapid pressing or holding the button to skip larger segments of time so it's more like the traditional DVR's with there skip forward and skip back buttons, to me this is a MUCH MUCH faster and more granular control then using the fast forward/rewind buttons.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

YES and I would suggest using Fire TV 4k's over the PS4 even, the PS4 is faster navigating through the menus but the PS4 only has a traditional fast forward/rewind where the Fire TV 4k uses the left/right navigation buttons to do 10 second skips that can be chained together by rapid pressing or holding the button to skip larger segments of time so it's more like the traditional DVR's with there skip forward and skip back buttons, to me this is a MUCH MUCH faster and more granular control then using the fast forward/rewind buttons.

Alright I will definitely check it out. I was looking at the new Roku but you convinced me otherwise so thanks! haha

5 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

Alright I will definitely check it out. I was looking at the new Roku but you convinced me otherwise so thanks! haha

Roku was one of the most recently added platforms to Vue and with Roku unless a developer invests TONS on money into developing a 100% ground up build specifically for Roku (you can't port apps to Roku) you are left using the default Roku app template which totally blows, folks are hoping things change when the next Roku Firmware launches (rumored to come with the new generation of Rokus) which is supposed to include tools to build much better apps, but I wouldn't hope for to much from that and definitely no quick response from Sony.

I've got some tips and tricks videos for using Vue on my Youtube channel and looking for ideas for more (kinda How-to guides for Vue) I personally have access to my old PS3, my Fire TV 4k and the Fire Stick I set my dad up with and recently shot a video comparing the 3 devices, but I need to find the time to add some annotations before I post the videos publicly. my youtube user name is danielrichards644 if you want to check some of them out.