Computer not turning on

darksoul43

So I go out for a ride,  leave computer on,  comeback it has turned off and not turning back on,  I have tried unplugging everything and just turning in the psu to see if it was that but that works,  I tried unplugging everything from the mother board apart from the two power connectors and still. Not working any ideas? 

Just now, MVPernula said:

Not responding at all? No lights or fans spinning?

Nothing,  when the video card was plugged in the two lights indicating the power was plugged it but that's about it,  sounds like a dead motherboard to me

Try a different PSU, if you don't have one, borrow it from somewhere.

Also, take everything out of the case and test it on a piece of cardboard or wood. If it turns on normally with the original PSU, you're dealing with a short somewhere, presumably something in the case like a misplaced standoff.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, darksoul43 said:

Nothing,  when the video card was plugged in the two lights indicating the power was plugged it but that's about it,  sounds like a dead motherboard to me

Hmm might be.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Also, take everything out of the case and test it on a piece of cardboard or wood. If it turns on normally with the original PSU, you're dealing with a short somewhere, presumably something in the case like a misplaced standoff.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

I wouldn't say it is anything like that,  because I have had this setup running with no problems for atleast 5 years

If the above solutions don't work, try shorting the two power button pins on the motherboard. It's an unlikely problem though since it turned off as you described.

I edit my posts a lot.

2 minutes ago, darksoul43 said:

I wouldn't say it is anything like that,  because I have had this setup running with no problems for atleast 5 years

Might be a dead board, yeah, but still, troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You can just say YOLO it's dead and throw it in the bin, or you can try to narrow it down to be sure. Would be a waste if the CPU went kamikaze for instance.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

If the above solutions don't work, try shorting the two power button pins on the motherboard. It's an unlikely problem though since it turned off as you described.

I've been using the button on the motherboard to turn it on,  but will try that way

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Might be a dead board, yeah, but still, troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You can just say YOLO it's dead and throw it in the bin, or you can try to narrow it down to be sure. Would be a waste if the CPU went kamikaze for instance.

Yeah that's what I'm trying, I'm troubleshooting what I can,  if nothing works,  my uncle has a spare mobo and cpu I can use 

Yeah that's what I'm trying, I'm troubleshooting what I can,  if nothing works,  my uncle has a spare mobo and cpu I can use 

Alrighty then. That way you have all of the variables available. Good thinking.

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Alrighty then. That way you have all of the variables available. Good thinking.

Yup,  if that mobo and cpu work guess I'll be stuck on lga775 for a while

10 minutes ago, darksoul43 said:

Yup,  if that mobo and cpu work guess I'll be stuck on lga775 for a while

Well, if it works, that's not so bad. Unless we're talking Core 2 Duo Conroe stuff or worse lol.

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Well, if it works, that's not so bad. Unless we're talking Core 2 Duo Conroe stuff or worse lol.

Nah it's an i7 can't remember what one but yeah 

Nah it's an i7 can't remember what one but yeah 

i7 on 775. That's new. You probably mean 1366.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

i7 on 775. That's new. You probably mean 1366.

Nah I think it was like a q#### something,  not to familiar with older hardware 

Nah I think it was like a q#### something,  not to familiar with older hardware 

Ah yes, a Core 2 Quad. If you already consider that older hardware, I presume you're definitely not in your twenties yet. Anyway, a C2Q is still pretty usable nowadays. 

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ah yes, a Core 2 Quad. If you already consider that older hardware, I presume you're definitely not in your twenties yet. Anyway, a C2Q is still pretty usable nowadays. 

Nah only 17,  my rig has a 1156 i5 760 in it,  and that goes well,  I'm sure a c2q will be fine for me