Motherboard doesn't recognize drives and USB devices

Hi everyone,

First time posting on this forum, please forgive me if this is in the wrong category.

The problem is as follows:

New PC, first boot went flawless with an SSD from my old computer which already had Windows 10 Pro on it. Then I noticed I forgot to connect the power to my storage HDD, which I plugged in after shutting down the PC.

But then, when I wanted to start it up again, it got stuck at the Asus logo from the motherboard for some time, then did a loud BEEP, then came a message which said "0 drives detected, 0 USB devices detected" and it proceeded to BIOS.

Now, I can't do anything in BIOS because my mouse and keyboard aren't being recognized.

Specs are:

i5-6600k (stock speeds, didn't get a chance to OC yet) with CM 212 EVO cooler (both new)

Asus Z170-K (new)

16GB DDR4 HyperX 2133Mhz (new)

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 (new)
2x Samsung EVO 120GB (from old PC, one with Win 10 Pro installed)

1x Toshiba 7200RPM 1TB HDD (from old PC)

750 watt PSU from an unknown brand (came with case of old PC)

USB 2.0 PCI expansion card (from old PC)

Wifi adapter PCI card (from old PC)

Acer Predator G7200 case (you know, the one that looks like a transformer)

So, is there anyone who could help me out with this? I'd like to avoid a Windows reinstall since I upgraded my cracked version of Windows 7 Ultimate to a legit Windows 10 Pro version, so I don't have any recovery keys or discs or anything like that. Also, the PC worked the first time, so it should work again, right...?

Thank you in advance!

Bios update using a laptop and a memory stick?

Main Rig: Intel Core i7 4790k, R9 280x, EVGA 500 watt 80puls bronze, 32GB Ram HyperX120GB Kingston SSD, 1tb WD Blue, Asus sabertooth Z97, Aerocool A800

Router: Pentium G3220, 8GB Ram, No idea what board,250 Watt PSU, 320gb Seagate Drive

Personal Devices: OnePlus3, Kindle Fire HDX

Have you tried different keyboards/mice and different USB slots?

Or try resetting the bios.

Main Rig: Intel Core i7 4790k, R9 280x, EVGA 500 watt 80puls bronze, 32GB Ram HyperX120GB Kingston SSD, 1tb WD Blue, Asus sabertooth Z97, Aerocool A800

Router: Pentium G3220, 8GB Ram, No idea what board,250 Watt PSU, 320gb Seagate Drive

Just now, Venom1742 said:

Have you tried different keyboards/mice and different USB slots?

Yes, I've tried 3 different mice and 3 different keyboards on all USB ports.

I'd start with resetting CMOS and also unplug all but the OS drive, go from there

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, georgeLH said:

Bios update using a laptop and a memory stick?

Can I do that without a keyboard and mouse?

No, try a bios reset then.

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

I'd start with resetting CMOS and also unplug all but the OS drive, go from there

Already tried that, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just now, georgeLH said:

No, try a bios reset then.

By removing the CMOS battery? Tried it already, left it out for ~7 seconds at first, as the manual suggested, then again for about 15 minutes just to be sure, which didn't work either.

Ah, maybe try a cpu reseat, or try unplugging any other devices from usb slots.

I had a similar problem which was solved by unplugging an xbox controller

Just now, georgeLH said:

Ah, maybe try a cpu reseat, or try unplugging any other devices from usb slots.

I tried to boot with just the SSD with OS, only mouse and keyboard, with GPU installed and all the other USB devices and PCI cards removed. Same thing happens again, says it doesnt detect any drives or devices.

2 minutes ago, L. Kenter said:

Already tried that, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Then leave off all drives, pci cards, and any usb devices that aren't keyboard and mouse. Basically just psu, mobo, cpu, ram. Use integrated graphics. This narrows the list of potentially faulty hardware down.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

Use integrated graphics

Agree try this.

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Then leave off all drives, pci cards, and any usb devices that aren't keyboard and mouse. Basically just psu, mobo, cpu, ram. Use integrated graphics. This narrows the list of potentially faulty hardware down.

I'll give it a shot right now, will report asap. 

7 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Alright, so it boots with just Mobo, CPU, Ram, SSD and PSU (obviously) and mouse and keyboard. It got past the Asus logo and show the American Megatrends black screen with red logo and which correcly lists the mobo type, cpu, ram and usb devices. Oddly, it says there are two keyboards connected and one mouse. And one hub, which I had connected previously, but isn't connect atm. It also sees my SSD. But on the very bottom it says: Overclocking failed! Enter setup to reconfigure. This is very odd, since I used the EZ-thingy from Asus to overclock it automatically. After it was done, it rebooted and it worked fine. Then when I wanted to reboot to finish installing some drivers etc, it kept getting stuck at the Asus logo. What should I do next from here?

Try safe Mode with Networking? not sure what its called in win 10.

Just now, georgeLH said:

Try safe Mode with Networking? not sure what its called in win 10.

With or without all the other components back in and connected?

Without them.

4 minutes ago, L. Kenter said:

Alright, so it boots with just Mobo, CPU, Ram, SSD and PSU (obviously) and mouse and keyboard. It got past the Asus logo and show the American Megatrends black screen with red logo and which correcly lists the mobo type, cpu, ram and usb devices. Oddly, it says there are two keyboards connected and one mouse. And one hub, which I had connected previously, but isn't connect atm. It also sees my SSD. But on the very bottom it says: Overclocking failed! Enter setup to reconfigure. This is very odd, since I used the EZ-thingy from Asus to overclock it automatically. After it was done, it rebooted and it worked fine. Then when I wanted to reboot to finish installing some drivers etc, it kept getting stuck at the Asus logo. What should I do next from here?

That doesn't seem like normal behavior from the mobo (device detection). Maybe the BIOS reset didn't take? Sometimes takes longer than 15min. I'd try that again and also reverting to factory settings within the BIOS

5 minutes ago, L. Kenter said:

With or without all the other components back in and connected?

5 minutes ago, georgeLH said:

Without them.

Yeah, you want to get the mobo acting normally before making it try to communicate with everything

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

That doesn't seem like normal behavior from the mobo (device detection). Maybe the BIOS reset didn't take? Sometimes takes longer than 15min. I'd try that again and also reverting to factory settings within the BIOS

Alright, so: take out CMOS, let it rest for... 30 min? Then boot into safemode with networking without everything else connected, and what should I do after that?

Just now, L. Kenter said:

Alright, so: take out CMOS, let it rest for... 30 min? Then boot into safemode with networking without everything else connected, and what should I do after that?

Try some driver updates.

6 minutes ago, georgeLH said:

Try some driver updates.

Okay, thank you guys so far, I'll report back in half an hour. Really appreciate the quick responses!