Need some advice and tips to overclocking!

I watched a video about an i5-6600k at stock and at 4.5Ghz overclock and the overclocked one managed to compete with a stock i7-6700k and an i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz in most games based on fps(nearly the same fps at average). So I decided that I would go for the i5-6600k instead since it's cheaper and this will just be for gaming, so right now I want to know how much voltage do I need during the overclocking process from 3.5Ghz to 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and up to 4.5Gh for the i5-6600k, the CPU cooler that I would be using is the Noctua NH-D15s and the motherboard would be the Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Mini-ITX DDR4,Motherboards GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, The graphics card that I would be using would be the ASUS ROG GTX 1070 8GB STRIX while gaming on a 2560x1440p monitor.

Any advice and tips would be awesome.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

There's no accurate way of answering that, because not all CPUs of even the same model and batch are the exact same. Some overclock better than others, some need higher voltage etc. It's what's generally referred to as the silicon lottery. People could chime in with their results, but that in no way guarantees you'll get the exact same numbers with the same hardware.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I would take bets on that mini-ITX motherboard not letting you get to that 4.5Ghz unless you managed to win the silicon lottery.

I would not go over 1.42V max on a Skylake I5, beyond that you will hurt its lifespan, Start somewhere around 1.3 V and slowly increase the voltage till you fail in a CPU test like AIDA 64 or Cinebench R15, then slowly up the voltage till you no longer fail, and then rinse and repeat

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

There's no accurate way of answering that, because not all CPUs of even the same model and batch are the exact same. Some overclock better than others, some need higher voltage etc. It's what's generally referred to as the silicon lottery. People could chime in with their results, but that in no way guarantees you'll get the exact same numbers with the same hardware.

Yes this. Basically it's trial and error, set the overclock to whatever your thinking. Then slowly ramp up the voltage and for stress tests with any of the tools you saw in that video. Let it run and see if it crashes. Rinse and repeat until there are no system issues, then let your computer run and use a bunch of programs for a FEW DAYS min. It appears to be OK for a hour isn't good enough, you really want to make sure that it's running well.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

11 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

I watched a video about an i5-6600k at stock and at 4.5Ghz overclock and the overclocked one managed to compete with a stock i7-6700k and an i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz in most games based on fps(nearly the same fps at average). So I decided that I would go for the i5-6600k instead since it's cheaper and this will just be for gaming, so right now I want to know how much voltage do I need during the overclocking process from 3.5Ghz to 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and up to 4.5Gh for the i5-6600k, the CPU cooler that I would be using is the Noctua NH-D15s and the motherboard would be the Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Mini-ITX DDR4,Motherboards GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, The graphics card that I would be using would be the ASUS ROG GTX 1070 8GB STRIX while gaming on a 2560x1440p monitor.

Any advice and tips would be awesome.

Dirty OC guide:

1. Start at 1.2v and stock speeds. Stress for around 10min and:
    1. If peak temps are below 80C, increase the voltage by one notch
    2. If they are in the 80~83 range, leave voltage as is and move on to the next step
    3. If they are in the 84 and above, decrease voltage by a notch.
  2. Now that you know your max voltage (my guess would be around 1.35v, given the cooler), fiddle with the multiplier. 41 should be a decent starting point. Stress test it and keep pushing until you find instability, then back off a notch. Always be mindful of your temps, though!
  3. After that, you can perhaps play with Bclk to try and squeeze some extra performance. Or try to reduce voltage a bit.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Dirty OC guide:

1. Start at 1.2v and stock speeds. Stress for around 10min and:
    1. If peak temps are below 80C, increase the voltage by one notch
    2. If they are in the 80~83 range, leave voltage as is and move on to the next step
    3. If they are in the 84 and above, decrease voltage by a notch.
  2. Now that you know your max voltage (my guess would be around 1.35v, given the cooler), fiddle with the multiplier. 41 should be a decent starting point. Stress test it and keep pushing until you find instability, then back off a notch. Always be mindful of your temps, though!
  3. After that, you can perhaps play with Bclk to try and squeeze some extra performance. Or try to reduce voltage a bit.

Basically that^ remember once you are happy with where you think your stable do a full day stress test. You will want to make sure its rock solid in games. Don't want a bluescreen half way though a comp match.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

I would just overclock it up to 4.2 or 4.3 Ghz and nothing more for added performance.

Hey I had the same i5-6600k and the board I have is asus z170-e. I started 4.4ghz@1.325 volt. Stable. Tried 4.5ghz but crashed @1.355 volt so I decided to stay at 4.4ghz. 

Then I tried to lower the voltage and finally settled at 4.4ghz@1.31 volt. The cooler I have is NH-D15 and temp was around 70c running real bench. 

Just my experience with 6600k and I hope you have a better chip than mine! 

6 minutes ago, W3tan said:

Hey I had the same i5-6600k and the board I have is asus z170-e. I started 4.4ghz@1.325 volt. Stable. Tried 4.5ghz but crashed @1.355 volt so I decided to stay at 4.4ghz. 

Then I tried to lower the voltage and finally settled at 4.4ghz@1.31 volt. The cooler I have is NH-D15 and temp was around 70c running real bench. 

Just my experience with 6600k and I hope you have a better chip than mine! 

Thank you, that really gives me a lot of information on the estimates on the voltage!