Turning PC into a media player?

SarfM786

Ive gotten a new PC and im thinking about turning my old pc into a home thetre is there some type of OS or something that can make my pc have a media player like menu 

Kodi is a possible option.

Of course depending on the specs you may be interested in SteamOS (Possibly for game streaming). If you know a little Linux you can even install Kodi as a "non-steam game" on top of it.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

^^

Was going to suggest this. Would highly recommend Kodi.

It's a program for both Linux and Windows.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Dargenfire said:

^^

Was going to suggest this. Would highly recommend Kodi.

4 minutes ago, spexiono said:

Kodi is a possible option.

Of course depending on the specs you may be interested in SteamOS (Possibly for game streaming). If you know a little Linux you can even install Kodi as a "non-steam game" on top of it.

Can you also surf the web with kodi? 

9 minutes ago, Sarfaraz said:

Hmm. Seems a little bit of a pain for Kodi. From a quick search it seems your options would be limited to browsers designed for the desktop (Or one that is text-only). Not ideal if you plan on running the media PC plugged into a TV. Sorry. :(

So SteamOS could be the option for you. That will certainly work (Assuming the PC specs aren't too low.), Includes a browser etc. assuming you have steam installed you can launch Big Picture Mode to give you an idea of how SteamOS works.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

13 hours ago, Sarfaraz said:

I'm sure no one will support the idea, but in principle you can just keep windows and use the Media Center (I think you can make windows go into media center at boot, but don't quote me on that). Then you can return to normal desktop for browsing and whatever is not home theater related.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm sure no one will support the idea, but in principle you can just keep windows and use the Media Center (I think you can make windows go into media center at boot, but don't quote me on that). Then you can return to normal desktop for browsing and whatever is not home theater related.

OH thats good because at first i thought it boots up as kodi.. because I also want to use it as a normal computer