Windows 8.1 Upgrade...Fail!

CrzyChinook

any one else getting this:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit (with Media Center) Store Update Restores to 8.0 with 0xC1900101-0x40017 Error......

i have a legit copy of WIn 8 Pro with media center... i couldn't find it in the store till i searched a article that has the link got it to start downloading and downloads and does a complete install till the very end and restart and shows me that error....

I heard that people with pro where having problems... 

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

TABLET: Ipad 12.9 Pro  PHONE: Iphone 12

I have pro and had no problems at all.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I have pro and had no problems at all.

Pro or ProWMC(with media center)???

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

Pro or ProWMC(with media center)???

I didn't know that was a thing, I don't have media centre so I guess that is why it worked. For some reason I have media player though.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I didn't know that was a thing, I don't have media centre so I guess that is why it worked. For some reason I have media player though.

yeah when Win8 first came out they offered free upgrade...it used to cost extra to add Media Center to Pro... i think in 8.1 its just part of it..

also for the people who are have the most failures sounds like are the ones who were  early adopters to win8.. i got it the 2 month out from release for a fresh install on my MiniITX rig .. not sure if that is true or not... but ether way it sucks

wow looks like the finger is being pointed to nvidia???or graphics in genral... i read a article last night that speculatied about compatibility but i think there must be more to it..... hmmm interesting...guess ill have to wait and see

Same here

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I haven't installed 8.1 on my desktop yet, but on my laptop I installed 8.0 (clean install as I had 8.1 Preview, and I just preferred to remove beta OS, then to try and upgrade it and carry old (beta) things), then I upgraded to 8.1, and installed Media Center pack. That worked.

I know it doesn't help you directly, but it's a solution to consider.

System.png

If you wait until I upgrade my desktop, you'll probably will have to wait until after Nov 1st as I mid-terms.

I have Pro & Media Center, only error I got was when I had less than 5.1 GBs left on my SSD thus it couldn't install. Once I uninstalled a couple things it installed without issue.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

yeah when Win8 first came out they offered free upgrade...it used to cost extra to add Media Center to Pro... i think in 8.1 its just part of it..

also for the people who are have the most failures sounds like are the ones who were  early adopters to win8.. i got it the 2 month out from release for a fresh install on my MiniITX rig .. not sure if that is true or not... but ether way it sucks

Yeah I got windows 8 only a while after release and after checking all of the pages that currently exist on this topic, I have been unable to find it in the store. I think Microsoft's whole approach to this has just been crap from the start. 

Yeah I got windows 8 only a while after release and after checking all of the pages that currently exist on this topic, I have been unable to find it in the store. I think Microsoft's whole approach to this has just been crap from the start. 

Did you try what is suggested?

-> Make sure that Windows 8 is fully updated, including that your drivers are installed.(See device manager).

-> Make sure Windows 8 is properly activated.

-> Open the stat screen, and type: WSReset.exe, then enter, restart your PC and try again.

Well a few things about that. When I attempt to configure my updates, it always fails, so I am pretty sure that is why I can't see Windows 8.1 in the store. I've also run WSReset.exe and nothing happened when I restarted my computer. I am thinking about just buying Windows 8 again and replacing the current version installed. 

i can see it in the store now.. still wont update..i have thought about just holding off till they fix it..

Did you try what is suggested?

-> Make sure that Windows 8 is fully updated, including that your drivers are installed.(See device manager).

-> Make sure Windows 8 is properly activated.

-> Open the stat screen, and type: WSReset.exe, then enter, restart your PC and try again.

i tried that i help in showing the update but still will not install

well now it will act like its installing restart and do the install and the final restart it gives me that the windows will not install 8.1 rolling back to windows 8 and the error is the same as before.... 0xC1900101-0x40017 Error

Make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers installed. When you install them, go under advance/custom, and check the box to do a clean install, and uncheck the Nvidia 3D stuff.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for everything else. Unplug all external USB devices including printer (except mouse and keyboard, that's fine). Oh and USB hub too, including your monitor one.

If you have Steelseries software, the company says to uninstall their own software and says that they are working on providing 8.1 support.

Basically Microsoft defines the error code as "caused by a driver bug check". It can also happen if you have WIn7 drivers installed under Win8, and 8.1 is really not liking it.

Make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers installed. When you install them, go under advance/custom, and check the box to do a clean install, and uncheck the Nvidia 3D stuff.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for everything else. Unplug all external USB devices including printer (except mouse and keyboard, that's fine). Oh and USB hub too, including your monitor one.

If you have Steelseries software, the company says to uninstall their own software and says that they are working on providing 8.1 support.

Basically Microsoft defines the error code as "caused by a driver bug check". It can also happen if you have WIn7 drivers installed under Win8, and 8.1 is really not liking it.

ok trying all that ..and gee whizz looky looky new driver as of today!! ill let you know how it goes

ok trying all that ..and gee whizz looky looky new driver as of today!! ill let you know how it goes

Of course, once all done restart your computer... and you MAY need to do that clear Windows Store cache again

I have been having some bizarre system stability issues. Had absolutely no problems before on 8.1 Preview. Random reboots, keyboard stops working in IE, apps not retaining settings.

All my hardware (all of it) is only two months old and had been tested for stability. All these issues showed up after updating to this new release.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I have been having some bizarre system stability issues. Had absolutely no problems before on 8.1 Preview. Random reboots, keyboard stops working in IE, apps not retaining settings.

All my hardware (all of it) is only two months old and had been tested for stability. All these issues showed up after updating to this new release.

Did you upgrade 8.1 Preview to 8.1 official? If so, it might explain.

It's always recommended to format and re-install everything if you have Beta OS. And OS is not like any other software, it's one heck of complicated peace of software that turns these circuit board which are essentially useless, into what we can use, and do everything. Carrying beta stuff to the official is always causing problems.

Yes, I did. That sure explains a lot. I thought of reformatting but the reactivation process with MS always ends up with me talking to "Greg" in India.

Suppose I'll reformat this weekend.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X