NH-D15 Question

coolmrschill
2 minutes ago, coolmrschill said:

Will this memory fit with the NH-D15 on this motherboard? ((REMEMBER ALL PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS))

NH-D15 allows for 32mm of memory clearance (under the fan). ripjaws are too tall for that. I would recommend Corsair Vengance LPX (31mm)

3 minutes ago, coolmrschill said:

Will this memory fit with the NH-D15 on this motherboard? ((REMEMBER ALL PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS))

You will just have to move up the fan a few notches if it doesn't fit. Running it with a single fan also works. Else you can run the second fan on the other side.

5 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Why don't you get a AIO? 

It's quieter and outperforms almost all AIOs. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It's quieter and outperforms almost all AIOs. 

Really? Wow! Are the be quiet ones louder then this?

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Here is a chart straight off the Noctua website with a full list of mobo compatibility (I looked up your board, you should be good to go): http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp

As for the memory, go with what Zyndo said, the Vengeance LPX should work perfectly.  That's the combo I'm planning on using in my upcoming build.

17 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Really? Wow! Are the be quiet ones louder then this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler,4350-2.html

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, coolmrschill said:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sHFRVY Does this look good?

well. yes. that build will work if you buy all those components. But that cooler is an eyesore in an otherwise awesome black/red looking build, and that SSD is pretty "meh" when it comes to performance. I think there are better options for you without really increasing your pricetag.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/g6XKqk

I changed the cooler to something that will gel a bit better in your build. I think the DH-15 is a slightly better performing cooler, but its a difference you're unlikely to notice. With this new cooler, you now have up to 50mm RAM clearance, up from 32mm, so you can go back to your Ripjaws if you want. I also swapped out the SSD for something pretty similarly priced but a bit better in performance (especially when it comes to writes)

There is also the Masterair maker 8. arguably the best air cooler on the market, but it has a pricetag to match. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/7sL7YJ/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-mazt8pn418prr1

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/masterair-maker-8/

I would get different case fans if I were you, again, for the reason that they're a horrible eyesore. they are certainly among some of the best performing fans out there, but they aren't really going to make that much of a difference to system temps when used as airflow fans (as opposed to other case fans). Also you have two fans, where do you intend on putting them? with the included 200mm up front my recommendation would be a single 120/140 exhaust out the rear in order to round out the case pressure/flow. Maybe a ML140 pro from corsair is what you need? You certainly needn't spend so much though, even a 10-20 dollar fan would be excellent there.

just read this (from http://techbuyersguru.com)

Noctua NH-U14S

In our opinion, the NH-U14S is the best all-around air cooler on the market. We've tested a bunch, and yes, there are a few air coolers with more power, but none is as elegant or efficient as the NH-U14S. It installs in minutes, does not block RAM or PCIe slots, and is incredibly quiet thanks to its ultra-high-end Noctua NF-A15 140mm fan. Of course, that big fan makes this a big cooler. At 165mm tall, it's about the tallest cooler you'll be able to fit in standard ATX cases. If you have a compact ATX case, though, chances are it simply will not work, nor is it compatible with micro ATX builds.

THE GURU'S TIP:

We're dead serious about this pick, even if Noctua would have you believe the NH-D15 or NH-D15S are better. We've tested all three, and the bigger coolers are far more expensive, much harder to install, don't fit in many cases, and don't perform significantly better. If you need more cooling power than the NH-U14S can provide, we suggest you step up to a liquid cooler. But take note - we're not talking about single-fan liquid coolers, as they won't outperform the NH-U14S despite running a lot louder. In other words, go big water, or stick with the NH-U14S!

17 hours ago, Zyndo said:

I changed the cooler to something that will gel a bit better in your build. I think the DH-15 is a slightly better performing cooler, but its a difference you're unlikely to notice.

Do think that the performance with cooling and sound is a little worse? The major reason I liked the Noctua is because the super quiet running.

45 minutes ago, coolmrschill said:

Do think that the performance with cooling and sound is a little worse? The major reason I liked the Noctua is because the super quiet running.

I think they should perform quite similarly across the board. but the Noctua is going to perform a bit better in both acoustic and temperature areas. I do not think the difference would be terribly significant though (nothing that can't be fixed with a custom fan curve anyway). There is always the Masterair Maker 8 if you want the best and quietest and black/red... but again its pretty pricey. if you don't care about looks then the D15 is the way to go, but i figured I would mention the V8 since you had a pretty good looking build going.

22 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I think they should perform quite similarly across the board. but the Noctua is going to perform a bit better in both acoustic and temperature areas. I do not think the difference would be terribly significant though (nothing that can't be fixed with a custom fan curve anyway). There is always the Masterair Maker 8 if you want the best and quietest and black/red... but again its pretty pricey. if you don't care about looks then the D15 is the way to go, but i figured I would mention the V8 since you had a pretty good looking build going.

What AIO would you recommend at 280mm maximum, at the Masterair Maker 8 price.

1 minute ago, coolmrschill said:

What AIO would you recommend at 280mm maximum, at the Masterair Maker 8 price.

Corsair H115i or NZXT X61 are good 280MM AIO's. they aren't really going to be better than the Masterair though (not without getting super loud and powerful radiator fans anyway). that cooler is pretty awesome.

I don't want to talk you into something you don't need though. just get the D15 if you want the D15.