i5-6600k vs. i7-6700

Andivegito

Hello LTT.

I have hit another roadblock in my feeble attempts at building a computer. (actually not really. I can go either way.) I will show prices in ZAR and USD as always

I have a friend who can get me an i7-6700 for R 4,500.00 ($ 329.69) or I can get an i5-6600k for R 4,272.00 ($ 313.00). I wondered what would you guys do/say?

If I got the i7-6700 I would build a somwehat cheaper H170 build, or of course go with the i5-6600k on a Z170 Motherboard. I reckon I should go for the k as while the i7 non k may have 8 instead of 4 threads and 8M cache instead of 6M it not all that special for gaming purposes and I can build an affordable PC with the Z170 chipset but with faster ram and a overclocked CPU and GPU. I can afford either way so it seems like a obvious choice.

I really want to see what the community thinks somewhat cheaper and slower (Overall) or a little more expensive but potentially way faster.

Cheers.

You can oc 6600k to the point where it will outperform i7 6700. Think about that

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You can oc 6600k to the point where it will outperform i7 6700. Think about that

And in my case it would be actually CHEAPER to get the i5-6600k which overclocked would beat the sh...ahem..

stuffing outta the i7-6700. I really wanted to see what the people would say, not to mention I can then get my ram and GPU to do the same.

I guess if just for gaming purposes, the K i5 makes more sense. The i7 would make more sense for other types of workloads, like video editing, rendering, etc. If it's gaming what you want, just go for the i5 and OC.

You guys know what's weird? I asked a similar question before on Tom's Hardware except it was the i5-6600k vs the i7-6700k and both articles and all that said that go for the "go for the i5 unless you have higher CPU bound workloads".

However a few articles I have read for the same comparison except dropping the k for the i7 now a lot more people are saying go i7 over i5, one forum (http://www.overclock.net/t/1587665/i5-6600k-vs-i7-6700-non-k-which-would-you-choose-why-and-why-not) with a link to a Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9cVxka2fns&index) suggested that the stock i7 was the same as the i5 OCed at 4.6GHz. I'm not sure I should believe this or there is something I do not understand. Still prefer the idea of the i5-6600k.

Depends.

For 1080p 144Hz gaming, the i7 6700 easily. GPUs such as the GTX 1070 and above will be bottlenecked by an overclocked i5 6600K in games such as GTA V, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. The i7 6700 also provides more stable framerates and less stuttering than the i5 6600K.

For 1440p gaming and above, you probably won't see the difference unless you're in a CPU-bound scenario.

Don't forget you will need an aftermarket cooler to go with the i5 and it has be a decent one if you're planning to get a considerable overclock. That means added cost.

If I were you, I'd probably go for a i7 6700 and a Z170 motherboard with fast RAM.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends.

For 1080p 144Hz gaming, the i7 6700 easily. GPUs such as the GTX 1070 and above will be bottlenecked by an overclocked i5 6600K in games such as GTA V, The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. The i7 6700 also provides more stable framerates and less stuttering than the i5 6600K.

For 1440p gaming and above, you probably won't see the difference unless you're in a CPU-bound scenario.

Don't forget you will need an aftermarket cooler to go with the i5 and it has be a decent one if you're planning to get a considerable overclock. That means added cost.

If I were you, I'd probably go for a i7 6700 and a Z170 motherboard with fast RAM.

Is that so? thanks I will consider this. My friend said she could get me a cheaper Asus Z170-K mobo and if I go with the 6700 I wouldn't have to really worry if I should try and squeeze some more out for the Asus Z170-A.