Used Graphics Cards

lkarej
Go to solution Solved by lkarej,
3 minutes ago, blackadder said:

seeing as it's a high end card, hes probably upgraded to something better. i would why hes getting rid of it just to find out. if it's local you might be able to ask to see it used before you buy it. I'm not sure how many manufacturers will ask if you're the origial owner and if any warranty carries over. a year old card will most likely be fine, even a oc shouldn't matter much as most cards are voltage locked and we can do any real damage to them.  

Oh hey you're still alive

thought you would've OD'd by now

:^)

Yeah I'm thinking of asking him why he's getting rid of them (he has 2) just for personal interest. I mean they're asus so warranty doesn't matter anyways as anything warranty related with asus is hell iirc.

3 minutes ago, racer243l said:

I would take "never really overclocked" with a grain of salt. Almost every GPU has been pushed to it´s limits. Not that it would hurt the card, definitly not. If he can show it to you running and nothing bad stands out, go ahead and buy it.

Yeah GPU boost is a thing. I mean they're designed to be overclocked to an extent. I mean I'm not really that skeptical, seeing as hardware is usually pretty sturdy unless you dangerously overclock it or treat is poorly.

Hey guys, so I'm probably picking up a used 980ti this week locally.

The guy says it has <300 hours usage and has never really been overclocked.

About a year old (he purchased fall 2015).

Well I was just wondering what your experiences are with buying used GPUs, seeing as I can be a skeptic about people's behaviour rather often tbh.

Have they been good for the most part? In general do most people usually sell gpus that run well

I asked him for like a video of it running some game on his phone just to verify it doesn't artifact all over the place or anything.

Any kinda "trick" questions I could ask to get the seller to betray if there's anything wrong with the card?

thanks for any help you can provice.

figured this would belong in the GPU subforum

I make bad life decisions.

seeing as it's a high end card, hes probably upgraded to something better. i would ask why hes getting rid of it just to find out. if it's local you might be able to ask to see it used before you buy it. I'm not sure how many manufacturers will ask if you're the original owner and if any warranty carries over. a year old card will most likely be fine, even a oc shouldn't matter much as most cards are voltage locked and we can do any real damage to them.  

I would take "never really overclocked" with a grain of salt. Almost every GPU has been pushed to it´s limits. Not that it would hurt the card, definitly not. If he can show it to you running and nothing bad stands out, go ahead and buy it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

3 minutes ago, blackadder said:

seeing as it's a high end card, hes probably upgraded to something better. i would why hes getting rid of it just to find out. if it's local you might be able to ask to see it used before you buy it. I'm not sure how many manufacturers will ask if you're the origial owner and if any warranty carries over. a year old card will most likely be fine, even a oc shouldn't matter much as most cards are voltage locked and we can do any real damage to them.  

Yeah I'm thinking of asking him why he's getting rid of them (he has 2) just for personal interest. I mean they're asus so warranty doesn't matter anyways as anything warranty related with asus is hell iirc.

3 minutes ago, racer243l said:

Yeah GPU boost is a thing. I mean they're designed to be overclocked to an extent. I mean I'm not really that skeptical, seeing as hardware is usually pretty sturdy unless you dangerously overclock it or treat is poorly.

9 minutes ago, lkarej said:

I'm not going to let deaths cold hands get me that easy. I still have all my fingers after doing uxo removal for years, must be something right. my b-day was yesterday and I can feel old age creeping up :( my damn knees hurt. 

Just now, blackadder said:

I'm not going to let deaths cold hands get me that easy. I still have all my fingers after doing uxo removal for years, must be something right. 

Have you dropped a ridiculous amount of money on a new telescope yet

1 minute ago, lkarej said:

Have you dropped a ridiculous amount of money on a new telescope yet

i got a used 8 inch dob for $200 that the seller said I would never be able to see Jupiter, saw it the first night. looking to buy hubble is anyone want to chip i :P 

i got a used 8 inch dob for $200 that the seller said I would never be able to see Jupiter, saw it the first night. looking to buy hubble is anyone want to chip i :P 

start a gofundme
some people will throw money at anything if you write eloquently enough

Just now, lkarej said:

start a gofundme
some people will throw money at anything if you write eloquently enough

much better at solving a differential equations than i am at writing so, slim chance. better chances on just building something i like, been looking into making a mirror for a scope only like 500 hours of grinding;not too bad. 

much better at solving a differential equations than i am at writing so, slim chance. better chances on just building something i like, been looking into making a mirror for a scope only like 500 hours of grinding;not too bad. 

that's similar to the amount of time I've wasted playing black ops 3

Have bought 4 used gpu's now. They were all $1k at one point.  Never had any issues. I purchased from here, eBay and Amazon. Never in person. Not that I wouldn't. If they are a motivated seller they would show you it working. If it's online I would do it all day. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Have bought 4 used gpu's now. They were all $1k at one point.  Never had any issues. I purchased from here, eBay and Amazon. Never in person. Not that I wouldn't. If they are a motivated seller they would show you it working. If it's online I would do it all day. 

I'm going to see it this week.

So he's obviously confident in it's ability to perform.