I need help choosing a cpu and gpu on a $200-250 budget

EDC KnIVES

This is my first build and it will be in U.S. dollars. Also, the more I can save to get better componants, the better.

For a cpu I'm looking at the amd fx6300 but I was also wondering if a used core i5 would be worth it and if it would last.

For the graphics card any suggestions around $100-125 would help. I' currently looking at the EVGA 750Ti or the r7 360

Any help is greatly apprieciated!

I went from an AMD FX-8350 to I5-6600k, there was a HUGE difference. Most games with the FX were dipping below 60fps. When I installed the I5, it was a different story. I have yet to have a game dip below 60fps. So imo get the I5. It will probably give you better results.

What i5 are we talking about here?

I suggest snagging a GTX 950 or RX 460.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

What i5 are we talking about here?

I suggest snagging a GTX 950 or RX 460.

I was going to say GTX 950 at the very least.

like I said I am new to this so I don't know if I should get the fx6300 or get a used i5 6100

oops lol I was looking at the i3 to and got it mixed up with the i5

3 hours ago, EDC KnIVES said:

oops lol I was looking at the i3 to and got it mixed up with the i5

RX460 4GB as the GPU and i3 6100 or 6300 CPU. 
The i3 should give you plenty of room for upgrades in the future.  It has 4 threads so it shouldn't impact multitasking performance by much.
You could always get a used i5 but I would suggest making sure it's a more recent one and has a 1151 socket.  For example the i5 6500 or 6600 are two strong choices. So if it fails or becomes obsolete in the future it will be easier to find components that don't require a complete mobo change. Also you have the benefits newer architectures provide.   
(I would like someone to confirm this but as far as I know the 7th generation of intel desktop cpus will feature the LGA 1151 socket. If that's true you could grab something like an i5 7xxx in the future without upgrading a mobo)

The RX460 is much more recent and outperforms the 750ti in most games.