Dp (Thunderbolt 2) vs HDMI 1.4

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
45 minutes ago, LittleGraphic said:

Good morning,

I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with 1 HDMI 1.4 and 6 Thunderbolt ports and I need to connect it to 2k Monitor from AOC (IPS, hight quality panel etc.). What connection should I chose between HDMI 1.4 and Display Port 1.2 (Thunderbolt 2 support Dp 1.2)? Would I notice any difference in color depth or in refresh rate? (Now my pref. panel show 60 Hearts). I had some problems with Mini Dp to Dp cable, (Signal problems, screen became blacks etc). In my opinion there are not good manufacture for this cable and Apple does not sale this type of cable. (This is the cable that I bought one year ago https://www.amazon.it/StarTech-MDP2DPMM1MW-Adattatore-DisplayPort-Maschio/dp/B0081ZBW9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475161207&sr=1-1&keywords=StarTech+MDP2DPMM1MW+Cavo+Adattatore+Mini+DisplayPort+a+DisplayPort+1+m%2C ) 

Please let me know if you know good manufacture for this type of cable.

Thank you for your future answer.

You may have problems getting 2560×1440 at 60 Hz with HDMI 1.4. I would recommend using DisplayPort. The image is identical but DisplayPort is capable of higher resolutions and refresh frequencies.

Good morning,

I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with 1 HDMI 1.4 and 6 Thunderbolt ports and I need to connect it to 2k Monitor from AOC (IPS, hight quality panel etc.). What connection should I chose between HDMI 1.4 and Display Port 1.2 (Thunderbolt 2 support Dp 1.2)? Would I notice any difference in color depth or in refresh rate? (Now my pref. panel show 60 Hearts). I had some problems with Mini Dp to Dp cable, (Signal problems, screen became blacks etc). In my opinion there are not good manufacture for this cable and Apple does not sale this type of cable. (This is the cable that I bought one year ago https://www.amazon.it/StarTech-MDP2DPMM1MW-Adattatore-DisplayPort-Maschio/dp/B0081ZBW9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475161207&sr=1-1&keywords=StarTech+MDP2DPMM1MW+Cavo+Adattatore+Mini+DisplayPort+a+DisplayPort+1+m%2C ) 

Display port is better than HDMI. You won't see a huge difference but as far as I know it's better.

45 minutes ago, LittleGraphic said:

Good morning,

You may have problems getting 2560×1440 at 60 Hz with HDMI 1.4. I would recommend using DisplayPort. The image is identical but DisplayPort is capable of higher resolutions and refresh frequencies.

5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Thank you :)

5 hours ago, Puhtutz said:

Display port is better than HDMI. You won't see a huge difference but as far as I know it's better.

Thank's :)