Loud fan noise on startup,goes away after a few minutes

Webnerdz

Hello there,

I'm having a very odd problem with my pc's front fan(default fan with corsair 400c case) a few days ago it started to make a very loud noise on startup, I'm positive that it is vibration noise because when i touch the fan case its vibrating pretty hard, but after approx 5mins of my pc being on, it stops... it goes back to the normal quiet state it should be at. It's not really an issue and it doesn't affect performance, just want to know why its doing this, loose screw or something different? Any help appreciated. 

Thanks.

Could be a worn out bearing in the fan itself. You can unscrew it from case and hold in hand while powering on to make sure. If it's good, it should only make the wooshy air noise. Just don't stick finger in blades, that shit hurts

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

5 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Could be a worn out bearing in the fan itself. You can unscrew it from case and hold in hand while powering on to make sure. If it's good, it should only make the wooshy air noise. Just don't stick finger in blades, that shit hurts

Yeah but why would it just go back to normal after a few minutes(and for the rest of the time that the pc is on)?

Because it isn't a ball bearing fan (which are already loud btw), hydraulic and sleeve bearing fans actually steady out (reduce vibration) once they warm up. Probably either due to metal expansion or reduced viscosity of lube when heated, or both.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

15 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Because it isn't a ball bearing fan (which are already loud btw), hydraulic and sleeve bearing fans actually steady out (reduce vibration) once they warm up. Probably either due to metal expansion or reduced viscosity of lube when heated, or both.

wow, thanks for this information man, very helpful, interesting too