Why is this laptop so painfully slow?

OnionRings

Trying to help my brother in law do stuff on his PC but it takes like 30 seconds just to load stuff like the file explorer or open something or even load the web browser, ran ccleaner, malwarebytes picked up 2 things deleted em, fragmented HDD, did disk cleanup, deleted old un-used files, just cant put my finger on why it sucks so bad, sure its a weak pc in general but it shouldnt take almost 30 seconds to load stuff. Also CPU and HDD both idle near max, I cut back on startup programs and disabled some but some remain, and some like the stuff needed to run the pc are taking like 1-5% each which seems weird, my desktop idles at 1-5% total, this laptop is like 1-5% per item, 30%ish total. My guess for the slowness is the HDD, he said hes never dropped it so shouldnt be any dmg but its old and im sure hes dropped it before and just doesnt remember, I wonder if throwing in a cheap ssd would help, but at that price he can just lease this from qvc every month till paid off, or something like it since its not available anymore (it had an i7 6700hq 8g ram 1tb hdd and gt 950m) http://www.qvc.com/HP-Pavilion-15-Laptop---Intel-i7,-8GB-RAM,-1TBHDD-&-Software.product.E287394.html?sc=E287394-User&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-77-_-E287394&catentryImage=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.qvc.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2Fe%2F94%2Fe287394.001%3F%24uslarge%24

http://prntscr.com/cnmfk4

http://prntscr.com/cnmh99

Edited by OnionRings
Forgot stuff

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

It's a dual-core AMD laptop, what do you expect from it? My quad-core(8 thread) AMD laptop is barely any better, and it has SSD, more & higher speed, RAM, and so much better specs and mine barely outperforms what you're describing, even fresh out of the box.

1tb of memory used by garbage will slow down any computer. Upgrade to a SSD, and he will have no more issues.

Your laptop hates windows 10. Ten can run on 4 GB, but its really better to run on at least GB. People/Microsoft also recommend you run ten on a CPU that at least clocks at 2.4GHZ (thought this can be a wavy line).  Basically, your hardware cannot optimally support your software, you had an older version of windows I would roll it back or use the appropriate recovery media. If worst comes to worst you could install linux for fun.

3 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

1tb of memory will make any computer slow. Upgrade to a SSD, and he will have no more issues.

More storage =/= slower speed. Plenty of factors go into deciding how quick/slow an HDD is, but size is not one of them.

We're all weird. Just in our own, unique way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Student of game design, nerd and relative loner. Been playing on PC on and off since I could first sit at a keyboard.

Still trying to learn level 1 Fireball.

SPECS

Desktop (Batman): XPS 8300 - Intel i7-2600 - 8GB DDR3 1066 - Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Asus GeForce GTX 760 - Dual Dell 1080p monitors

Laptop (Nightwing): Asus TP300LA - Intel i5-4210u - 8GB DDR3 1666 - 500GB HDD - Intel HD 4400 - 1080p 13.3" touchscreen

2 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

1tb of memory will make any computer slow. Upgrade to a SSD, and he will have no more issues.

Half of this makes no sense. A. He doesn't have 1TB of memory, he had 4GB. B. 1TB of memory would be fast now slow.

3 minutes ago, Jed M said:

It's a dual-core AMD laptop, what do you expect from it? My quad-core(8 thread) AMD laptop is barely any better, and it has SSD, more & higher speed, RAM, and so much better specs and mine barely outperforms what you're describing, even fresh out of the box.

Is AMD really that dam bad? Its sad to think that really, well hes partially onboard to uprading so maybe I can get him to do it, I can get him something like what I posted, an i5 or i7 laptop with a decentish mobile graphics chip for light gaming, would suite him better, and with qvc he could pay 1 payment every month which is also better for him since he has a family to pay for he cant just dump 500+ on a desktop, plus no where to put a desktop anyway.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

@Jed M storage can effect speed if you don't have room on your storage device for updates, room for windows to use your page file, or to create temporary files. Basically you need to leave room for your hard drive to breath, people use to recommend t(5+ years ago) hat you leave 20-25% of your hard drive empty. Now times have changed with most people having 500 or 1000 GB. I still leave a lot of room free out of habit.

Yea idk why the idget upgraded to windows 10 I told him not to, he had 8 on it. TBH instead of wasting time downgrading ill just have him get a new laptop rather then waste 20$ on a new windows key for only minimal performance boosts. He needs a new laptop anyway this thing is 4 years old eventually its gonna die.

CPU

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Is AMD really that dam bad? Its sad to think that really, well hes partially onboard to uprading so maybe I can get him to do it, I can get him something like what I posted, an i5 or i7 laptop with a decentish mobile graphics chip for light gaming, would suite him better, and with qvc he could pay 1 payment every month which is also better for him since he has a family to pay for he cant just dump 500+ on a desktop, plus no where to put a desktop anyway.

Intel is widely preferred because it's known for being better and more reliable.

1 minute ago, Acolyte_of_PC said:

@Jed M storage can effect speed if you don't have room on your storage device for updates, room for windows to use your page file, or to create temporary files. Basically you need to leave room for your hard drive to breath, people use to recommend t(5+ years ago) hat you leave 20-25% of your hard drive empty. Now times have changed with most people having 500 or 1000 GB. I still leave a lot of room free out of habit.

Well, you see, I highly doubt he used all that space. Plus all the extra space is normally under 1 GB of storage.

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

Yea idk why the idget upgraded to windows 10 I told him not to, he had 8 on it. TBH instead of wasting time downgrading ill just have him get a new laptop rather then waste 20$ on a new windows key for only minimal performance boosts. He needs a new laptop anyway this thing is 4 years old eventually its gonna die.

You can revert.

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

Intel is widely preferred because it's known for being better and more reliable.

Well, you see, I highly doubt he used all that space. Plus all the extra space is normally under 1 GB of storage.

I 100% agree with you, I use an i5 6500 on my desktop myself, love intel. About the storage thing, he has 50ish left but Ive never heard of less room being slower.

CPU

@Jed M Don't assume anything in troubleshooting, I have had that exact issue happen multiple times with people maxing out HDD then their PC barely able to boots or blue screen during boot.

2 minutes ago, Jed M said:

You can revert.

Yea but how? Not to mention all the time backing up files and stuff (his wife keeps all her pictures and stuff on here and memories) and it would probably take 3 days with how slow it is LOL

CPU

1 minute ago, Acolyte_of_PC said:

@OnionRings Get them to get a back up device! online or physically! That Hard drive is 4 years old most likely has seen better days.

I told her to do it, wont listen, shell regret it. Anyway cant revert its been more then 30 days. Hes gonna have to tough out a slow pc until he can afford an upgrade.

CPU

You can try your luck with sites like G2A or Slickdeal for looking for old keys, just be carefully with what you buy from G2A and read how you are being charged. I got a Win 10 key for $30, I would imagine you could do the same for windows 7 if you really need to (but it will be a fresh install).

Theres a guy on ebay that sells 10 pro keys for 20$

CPU

Heres that user http://feedback.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=more-sweeties&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc feedback is mostly positive, most negative is idiots who bought a pro key but download home instead and blamed it on seller. I used him and my key worked fine microsoft hasnt come knockin yet.

CPU