What is bottlenecking my system

cquel
20 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Thumbs up to everything except maybe the GPU: I'd personally go with an RX 480. It's cheaper, performs better in some games (I don't know about CS:GO) and it's 100% capable of 144Hz even at 1440p (with light games or by cranking down the settings a bit)

it doesn't perform better except in Hitman and Vulkan (DX12 is close enough between the two to call it a wash). the 1060 beats it by a pretty strong margin in everything else, not to mention it has more overclocking potential than the 480. Sure seems like alot to give up on to save 10 bucks imo.

Just now, Zyndo said:

it doesn't perform better except in Hitman and Vulkan (DX12 is close enough between the two to call it a wash). the 1060 beats it by a pretty strong margin in everything else, not to mention it has more overclocking potential than the 480. Sure seems like alot to give up on to save 10 bucks imo.

It performs better in many more cases and also when (and if) the 1060 is better is just by a little bit. Also, is more than 10$ of difference, it's 240 (RX 480) compared to almost 300 (1060) to get less performance. That to me is not worth it, but again, the choice is not mine, this is just my advice.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

56 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

It performs better in many more cases and also when (and if) the 1060 is better is just by a little bit. Also, is more than 10$ of difference, it's 240 (RX 480) compared to almost 300 (1060) to get less performance. That to me is not worth it, but again, the choice is not mine, this is just my advice.

You do not appear to be very educated on this topic.... allow me to enlighten you.

The cheapest 8GB 480 right now is 239.99, a reference model (as you said, $240 bucks). The cheapest 1060 6GB right now is 249.99, as I said its exactly 10 bucks more (which is the one I linked. Its cheap, but its also very good so its not like I'm skimping out either). If we were talking about the 4GB 480 model then maybe you could have a point, but If he has the budget an extra 10-20 bucks for doubled VRAM is kind of a no-brainer IMO.

Again I'll say it though, the RX 480 does not perform "better in many cases". It loses in every single DX11 game/benchmark (which is most current games) by a pretty significant margin (as much as 10-15% more fps on average according to some reviews). When it comes to DX12, they do perform quite closely at stock speeds, but its close enough that I wouldn't really say its "better"... they're usually within  1-3 fps of each other which isn't really an appreciable difference. The RX 480 DOES close the performance gap at higher resolutions thanks to its HBM instead of GDDR5, but what it makes up for in that, the 1060 makes up for in being a better overclocker and if you overclock both cards the 1060 pulls ahead again. The only time an RX 480 will beat a 1060 by any appreciable amount  is when Vulkan is introduced, or when you're playing Hitman (which is a red team favored game, as Tomb Raider is a green team favored game, so its not really a "fair" benchmark to use). Not only that, but the 480's are louder, hotter, and typically consume a bit more energy than the 1060's.

Not saying the 480 is a bad card, certainly not. A 480 CF setup is actually a pretty enticing budget friendly option for people who want a multi-gpu setup in their systems. Can't do that with a 1060 (not until LDA/MDA really starts becoming a thing at least)