Is It Worth Doing R9 Fury X Crossfire?

AndyKala

I will be purchasing a Freesync 1440p 144hz monitor soon, so I didn't want to a buy a GTX 1080, instead I thought it would be better going for the Fury X in crossfire.  Will the 4GB limitation hold me back?

Depends what you mean by hold back.  Some recent games have ultra quality textures that will use more than 4 GB of vRAM.  Other than sometimes lowering texture quality down a bit, no it won't.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

in some games, yes it will.

Hopefully with dx12 that should be less of an issue, but on most games which are still dx11 based, 4gbs will be a bit of a limitation in some games at 1440p.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

in some games, yes it will.

Hopefully with dx12 that should be less of an issue, but on most games which are still dx11 based, 4gbs will be a bit of a limitation in some games at 1440p.

I wish their was a way around this issue :/

Just now, AndyKala said:

I wish their was a way around this issue :/

in dx12 there is, developers can enable features such as vram stacking for multigpu configurations, which, isn't crossfire at all, so you're not limited to that identical 4gbs of usage on each card, the memory can be used somewhat independently, giving you the full 8gbs of vram.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

in dx12 there is, developers can enable features such as vram stacking for multigpu configurations, which, isn't crossfire at all, so you're not limited to that identical 4gbs of usage on each card, the memory can be used somewhat independently, giving you the full 8gbs of vram.

So why aren't developers doing this?

Just now, AndyKala said:

So why aren't developers doing this?

dx12 adoption rate is slow, partly because its new, and partly because a lot of people still aren't on windows 10, which dx12 is exclusive to.

why code your game for just dx12 and limit your pool of customers when you can code it for dx11 and net pretty much everyone.

More and more games though are releasing with dx12, most newer titles pretty much launching with both dx11 and dx12 support at the moment.

Just now, Atmos said:

dx12 adoption rate is slow, partly because its new, and partly because a lot of people still aren't on windows 10, which dx12 is exclusive to.

why code your game for just dx12 and limit your pool of customers when you can code it for dx11 and net pretty much everyone.

More and more games though are releasing with dx12, most newer titles pretty much launching with both dx11 and dx12 support at the moment.

Which current games are able to stack the VRAM rn? I really wanna look into this more. 

2 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

Which current games are able to stack the VRAM rn? I really wanna look into this more. 

I only know of ashes of the singularity so far. Not sure whether doom has it as well.

So, not many, really, at all right now.

Just now, Atmos said:

I only know of ashes of the singularity so far. Not sure whether doom has it as well.

So, not many, really, at all right now.

Well, I'm really looking forward to this!

There are only a hanfull of games you won't be able to play on all ultra due to the 4GB Vram, but most of them are simply bad written (like COD).

I'd go for the Fury X crossfire, but it also depends on the price..

Or you show some patience and wait for Vega.