3 band wifi card (2.4, 5, 5.8)GHz (UK)

thething55
Go to solution Solved by Mark77,
3 minutes ago, thething55 said:

that's great thanks. I have only really checked out the Intel side of things. I guess i'll have to look around at other manufacturers as well.

Yeah the AR9280 is a great place to start, and there is almost no proprietary "firmware blob" associated with it (unlike the Intels).  So you can hack to your heart's content with the code being open source.

The Apple-branded ones are good (just as good as the Ubiquiti SR-71 in my experience!) and cost like $9 on eBay.

This is more for research at the moment however, I was wondering if any wireless networking manufactures (Intel Preferred) that made 3 band wireless cards for pcs/laptops that can run on the 2.4GHz spectrum, the 5GHz spectrum and the 5.8GHz (band C) spectrum.

I know that a licence is required to legally use band C in the UK.

I saw what I think was an intel 5.8Ghz wifi card a year or 2 back but I can't seem to find that one anymore.

I know the (Qualcomm) Atheros AR9280/AR9380 most definitely can run on the 5.8 band (and 2.4/5). 

The other 5.xGHz bands are authorized in some cases and in some countries where the hardware has the ability to listen for, and detect aviation/weather radars.  I've personally never seen a working implementation though -- usually vendors just lock those frequencies out.

On my AR9280: 

* 5180 MHz [36]
  * 5200 MHz [40]
  * 5220 MHz [44]
  * 5240 MHz [48]

{bunch of DFS channels!}

* 5745 MHz [149] 
  * 5765 MHz [153]
  * 5785 MHz [157] 
  * 5805 MHz [161] 
  * 5825 MHz [165]

that's great thanks. I have only really checked out the Intel side of things. I guess i'll have to look around at other manufacturers as well.

3 minutes ago, thething55 said:

Yeah the AR9280 is a great place to start, and there is almost no proprietary "firmware blob" associated with it (unlike the Intels).  So you can hack to your heart's content with the code being open source.

The Apple-branded ones are good (just as good as the Ubiquiti SR-71 in my experience!) and cost like $9 on eBay.

country GB: DFS-ETSI
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (20), AUTO-BW
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (20), DFS, AUTO-BW
(5490 - 5710 @ 160), (27), DFS
# 60 GHz band channels 1-4, ref: Etsi En 302 567
(57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (40)

Yeah by default, no 5.8ghz band in GB. 

source:  http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/fixed-wireless-access/

You have to go though Ofcom to legally use it. Because its a licensed band you are allowed to use higher broadcast power which would hopefully result in a better range and there should be less interference because hardly no one will use this frequency around me.