Best $150 old PC to turn into gaming rig?

Mattsoup

I've been looking at old i5 2400 machines on ebay and craigslist for around $115 to 150.  I would like the machine to come with Windows, so that raises the price a bit unfortunately.  Is there a better option for used PC at the price point that I will find with equal or lower specs?  I basically just want to find a hard drive with windows and a decent processor.  Keep in mind I already have replacement RAM, PSU, and a GPU.

Optiplex. Anything and everything Optiplex, although you're pretty much stuck with the OEM PSU unless you go to the tower model. They're the tanks of the computer world. Reliable, well-built and easy to open up and work in. I can swap a CPU in under five minutes at this point.

I've got one Optiplex 755 desktop model converted into a light gamer with a Q6600 and a 750 Ti, and another Optiplex 755 SFF that I'm slowly making into something with a GT 730 and, eventually, another Q6600 (got a C2D E6600 in there now).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Pro tip:You can just get an win10 iso directly from MS(so there is free windows for you)

Just now, aisle9 said:

Optiplex. Anything and everything Optiplex, although you're pretty much stuck with the OEM PSU unless you go to the tower model. They're the tanks of the computer world. Reliable, well-built and easy to open up and work in. I can swap a CPU in under five minutes at this point.

I've got one Optiplex 755 desktop model converted into a light gamer with a Q6600 and a 750 Ti, and another Optiplex 755 SFF that I'm slowly making into something with a GT 730 and, eventually, another Q6600 (got a C2D E6600 in there now).

I'm probably going to transplant it into another case with a new mobo later, plus I have a bigger PSU that I can just leave external until I get a new case if it doesn't fit. Thanks for the optiplex tip though.

Just now, Alpha_Krk said:

Pro tip:You can just get an win10 iso directly from MS(so there is free windows for you)

I couldn't find the link to that

7 minutes ago, Mattsoup said:

I've been looking at old i5 2400 machines on ebay and craigslist for around $115 to 150.  I would like the machine to come with Windows, so that raises the price a bit unfortunately.  Is there a better option for used PC at the price point that I will find with equal or lower specs?  I basically just want to find a hard drive with windows and a decent processor.  Keep in mind I already have replacement RAM, PSU, and a GPU.

Here is the link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1 minute ago, Mattsoup said:

I'm probably going to transplant it into another case with a new mobo later, plus I have a bigger PSU that I can just leave external until I get a new case if it doesn't fit. Thanks for the optiplex tip though.

If you're looking at transplanting into a newer case, buyer beware on Optiplexes. Many of the older ones (read: the ones that are awesome and dirty-ho cheap) use the DOA BTX motherboard form factor, which Intel gave up on shortly before launch. You'd be better off looking elsewhere for an ATM or Micro ATX form factor.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If you're looking at transplanting into a newer case, buyer beware on Optiplexes. Many of the older ones (read: the ones that are awesome and dirty-ho cheap) use the DOA BTX motherboard form factor, which Intel gave up on shortly before launch. You'd be better off looking elsewhere for an ATM or Micro ATX form factor.

The cpu should fit in any LGA 1155 socket though (assuming it's an i5) right? I am getting a new mobo

Edited by Mattsoup
Forgot info

what is your GPU like,because you can get 70$ core2duo machines with an 80gb HHD but i daught youll go that low

what is your GPU like,because you can get 70$ core2duo machines with an 80gb HHD but i daught youll go that low

I'd rather have something like an i5 2400 or so.  I'm most likely going to be throwing an RX 460 in there.

1 minute ago, Alpha_Krk said:

I'll find the computer, most likely an old optiplex, but the prebuilt shells like that amazon link are interesting, and are surprisingly reasonably priced.

Another option(with new parts);G358 and this Mobo

I've been down that road before.  Experienced some CPU bottlenecking and had trouble in newer games

Also how utch is th 460 in your area,in most countries the 750ti is still a better option

3 minutes ago, Alpha_Krk said:

Also how utch is th 460 in your area,in most countries the 750ti is still a better option

$119 US on Newegg.  I'd rather have a new 460 for $120 than a used 750ti for $90 considering performance and the fact that it's used.

gtg now gotta go for some pc parts(case+gpu)

Have fun with that

7 minutes ago, Alpha_Krk said:

;D

ps if youre on a really tight budget and you dont want to reuse your old hhd you can get a cheap 320gb one

I've got a TB 2.5 inch drive from my laptop after I upgraded to an SSD.  I'm good on that front