The journey of a custom Rig

Hello there! So as we all know, pc cases are the biggest part of our system, it's what holds our components together and what we show off when it sits by the desk or under the tv. There are a lot of cases out there of all shapes and sizes, that support certain things and what not. Sometimes it's hard finding a case that you like or one that won't shatter your budget. So usually there is a comprise of what you like. Usually people just buy the case and move on, dealing with what they could get. Well I didn't settle and I decided (and kind of made this have to happen) a fully custom case.

so this project started as a bit of a fun thing to do in my architecture class as a "for fun" project that turned serious when I decided not to do a dentists office like the rest of the class, i asked if I could do this and he said yes so here I am designing this case, now goig as far to print it and make it functional. For something in English class called S.O.A.R (basically a career prep program) 

so, I decided to make a no comprise, pulling out all of the stops, slim form factor Case

So enter, my purely custom form factor case

Sagittarius 

IMG_1121.JPG

So I started this project around eairly August. I started off by making boxes of components and a motherboard tray and moving them around to see what kind of space I would need. Luckily for accuracy I was able to find a website called Grabcad.com that has a bunch of models of things that I could use, saving the Hasle of measuring everything myself IMG_0549.JPG

8/09/16, the motherboard tray.IMG_0561.JPG

8/10/16, moving things around, fury, motherboard and psu found on grabcad.com

So once I found parts in a good configuration I thought was good I found an Xbox one to compare it against

8/11/16IMG_0574.JPG

it was now about the same widith and depth of an Xbox one, but the hight I didn't like as to me it looked to much like a box and not a console, so I started to move stuff around again until I found a layout that I liked   

8/12/16IMG_0600.JPG

so I decided to sort of flip everything on it's side, I then added my own model of a corsair h60 and some gtx 1070 model and I ditched the full psu for a silverstone sfx modular unit. (450w is what I will most likely get)  But after some tinkering and time passing I found the layout I liked and am still on 

8/30/16

IMG_0816.PNG

i flattened it out, putting things on its side and adding intake fans (80mm) as well as my storage (3.5" and a 2.5" drive) now that I found the layout I liked it was onto the hard part, all of the tiny details

9/7/16IMG_0862.PNG

this here is about where it is at now in terms of layout, & squashed the case down a bit, made an i/o hole in the wrong spot but added a buch of fan holes for the 80mm fans

9/12/16IMG_0896.JPGmore details, made all of the fan holes for the 6 80mm fans in the front, mounting holes for the corsair h60 and mounting and vent holes for the sfx power supply then I worked hard up until this point where I am still not done but this is where I am now

9/22/16IMG_1130.JPG

i made a front fascia for the case as well as the panels, I made a opening for the optical drive as well as Sagittarius next to it with the Amd logo (I plan to have Bristol ridge with an Rx 480 in this, green was just so I could see the part) as of right now, the case measures 494mmX404mm, but I am still far from done as I still have to make more mounting holes, feet, I/O, finish the panels, print it, assemble it and then finally, build it and make it my second rig. So feel free to follow this post on the journey to Sagittarius. 

3 hours ago, Matthewv1998 said:

Hello there! So as we all know, pc cases are the biggest part of our system, it's what holds our components together and what we show off when it sits by the desk or under the tv. There are a lot of cases out there of all shapes and sizes, that support certain things and what not. Sometimes it's hard finding a case that you like or one that won't shatter your budget. So usually there is a comprise of what you like. Usually people just buy the case and move on, dealing with what they could get. Well I didn't settle and I decided (and kind of made this have to happen) a fully custom case.

so this project started as a bit of a fun thing to do in my architecture class as a "for fun" project that turned serious when I decided not to do a dentists office like the rest of the class, i asked if I could do this and he said yes so here I am designing this case, now goig as far to print it and make it functional. For something in English class called S.O.A.R (basically a career prep program) 

so, I decided to make a no comprise, pulling out all of the stops, slim form factor Case

So enter, my purely custom form factor case

Sagittarius 

IMG_1121.JPG

So I started this project around eairly August. I started off by making boxes of components and a motherboard tray and moving them around to see what kind of space I would need. Luckily for accuracy I was able to find a website called Grabcad.com that has a bunch of models of things that I could use, saving the Hasle of measuring everything myself IMG_0549.JPG

8/09/16, the motherboard tray.IMG_0561.JPG

8/10/16, moving things around, fury, motherboard and psu found on grabcad.com

So once I found parts in a good configuration I thought was good I found an Xbox one to compare it against

8/11/16IMG_0574.JPG

it was now about the same widith and depth of an Xbox one, but the hight I didn't like as to me it looked to much like a box and not a console, so I started to move stuff around again until I found a layout that I liked   

8/12/16IMG_0600.JPG

so I decided to sort of flip everything on it's side, I then added my own model of a corsair h60 and some gtx 1070 model and I ditched the full psu for a silverstone sfx modular unit. (450w is what I will most likely get)  But after some tinkering and time passing I found the layout I liked and am still on 

8/30/16

IMG_0816.PNG

i flattened it out, putting things on its side and adding intake fans (80mm) as well as my storage (3.5" and a 2.5" drive) now that I found the layout I liked it was onto the hard part, all of the tiny details

9/7/16IMG_0862.PNG

this here is about where it is at now in terms of layout, & squashed the case down a bit, made an i/o hole in the wrong spot but added a buch of fan holes for the 80mm fans

9/12/16IMG_0896.JPGmore details, made all of the fan holes for the 6 80mm fans in the front, mounting holes for the corsair h60 and mounting and vent holes for the sfx power supply then I worked hard up until this point where I am still not done but this is where I am now

9/22/16IMG_1130.JPG

i made a front fascia for the case as well as the panels, I made a opening for the optical drive as well as Sagittarius next to it with the Amd logo (I plan to have Bristol ridge with an Rx 480 in this, green was just so I could see the part) as of right now, the case measures 494mmX404mm, but I am still far from done as I still have to make more mounting holes, feet, I/O, finish the panels, print it, assemble it and then finally, build it and make it my second rig. So feel free to follow this post on the journey to Sagittarius. 

So! for 9/23/16 i have another update!. it isnt much but it is the case in it's most up to date form in detail CASE WIT HEXPLODED DOORS.pngfront.pngISO WITH PANELS (1).pngLeft.pngREAR.pngRIGHT.png

Next i will be working on more fan mounts on the top door for good ventilation in the case. but that is it for this week! Remember to follow if you want to stay up to date with my journey of a custom case! 

On 9/23/2016 at 0:26 PM, Matthewv1998 said:

So! for 9/23/16 i have another update!. it isnt much but it is the case in it's most up to date form in detail CASE WIT HEXPLODED DOORS.pngfront.pngISO WITH PANELS (1).pngLeft.pngREAR.pngRIGHT.png

Next i will be working on more fan mounts on the top door for good ventilation in the case. but that is it for this week! Remember to follow if you want to stay up to date with my journey of a custom case! 

9/26/16

SO THE EXTERNAL DESIGN IS FINALIZED
Yes, the outside is done, and I am quite happy with the look. I added 4x120mm fan holes underneath the cover I created (not radiator space) so now airflow is a clean check, just will possibly be a little noisy but temps should be real good. 
So now TO DO
•Add feet stands
•create feet pads
•add 1 more 2.5" ssd space 
•add and create mounts for the riser card
•add slits on the back of the fan cover 
•print and assemble the case (in a 1/4th model first) 
•buy components 
•build and make functionalIMG_1176.JPG