help

xiduckix

I'm new to building computers and i'm looking to upgrade my processor to i7 6700k and having trouble finding a mother board that will work. it needs to be micro atx to fit can some one help me thanks!  

2 minutes ago, xiduckix said:

I'm new to building computers and i'm looking to upgrade my processor to i7 6700k and having trouble finding a mother board that will work. it needs to be micro atx to fit can some one help me thanks!  

It would be nice to know your entire build, budget and what do you do with that PC of yours before giving ou any advice...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, xiduckix said:

price range?

Just now, Imakuni said:

It would be nice to know your entire build, budget and what do you do with that PC of yours before giving ou any advice...

my graphics card is a gtx 970. psu 500w. ram is ddr 3 8g but i will change to ddr 4 if i have to. currently using an i5 4670k. and my mother board is a h81m s2pv gigabyte.

1 minute ago, xiduckix said:

my graphics card is a gtx 970. psu 500w. ram is ddr 3 8g but i will change to ddr 4 if i have to. currently using an i5 4670k. and my mother board is a h81m s2pv gigabyte.

Wait... then why are you going to a 6700k? A 4670k is already a great PCU, what makes yoiu want the upgrade?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

If you OC decent, you should be fine with current CPU. Is worth a try, because it's free. But then again you can't because you have h81 mobo I see...

You should find something in the Z170 platform then for the 6700K. Or the Z97 platform for current CPU..

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

it's more to fix an annoyance with my motherboard, i want to get a new motherboard to fix my usb port on the front of my case cus my mother board doesnt support them. and i thought why not up the cpu as well  

1 minute ago, xiduckix said:

it's more to fix an annoyance with my motherboard, i want to get a new motherboard to fix my usb port on the front of my case cus my mother board doesnt support them. and i thought why not up the cpu as well  

Could just get a Z97 board with the features you need and it'll be fine. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats