Task manager process System cpu usage

Bion1985

So not sure if this is the best place to post this or now but here it go's. I got a new laptop recently MSI GT62VR with a GTX1070. I had been having some trouble with it when I first got it regarding high cpu usage at idle, so I decided to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10. Now here still rests the problem sometimes with I boot cpu usage at idle seems normal 0-3% usage. But often I get the task in task manager called System using 17% or more of my cpu. I've tried turning off background apps notifications and other security and Windows tweaks with no solution. I even left the laptop on all night one night to see if it would idle down after a night and the high cpu usage at idle still pops up randomly it seems.

Anyone know why it could be doing this? Ran virus scans and malware scans no detections. 

2 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

So not sure if this is the best place to post this or now but here it go's. I got a new laptop recently MSI GT62VR with a GTX1070. I had been having some trouble with it when I first got it regarding high cpu usage at idle, so I decided to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10. Now here still rests the problem sometimes with I boot cpu usage at idle seems normal 0-3% usage. But often I get the task in task manager called System using 17% or more of my cpu. I've tried turning off background apps notifications and other security and Windows tweaks with no solution. I even left the laptop on all night one night to see if it would idle down after a night and the high cpu usage at idle still pops up randomly it seems.

Anyone know why it could be doing this? Ran virus scans and malware scans no detections.

I've seen this on my own laptop. Seems to be windows update running in the background as now in Windows 10 we can't set update preferences like we used to. Set your "Active times" the best you can for when you use the computer most, this will prevent it from updating so much or restarting within those hours

2 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I've seen this on my own laptop. Seems to be windows update running in the background as now in Windows 10 we can't set update preferences like we used to. Set your "Active times" the best you can for when you use the computer most, this will prevent it from updating so much or restarting within those hours

Will this happen even when there is no update being installed?

4 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Will this happen even when there is no update being installed?

Yes, Windows has made it hard on us to avoid things now. It may download an update without notice, but will wait to install it until "inactive hours". I've literally had it restart on me in the middle of a game after it installed an update without me knowing. The newest "anniversary update" added this active hours thing as a primary for update preferences. So yeah, just set that, should help.

EDIT: It's only the "System" process that's eating up the usage, right? And just making sure, you've gone through the privacy options in security? Make sure it is not sending ANY data to Microsoft(It is set to SOME data, if you chose the option earlier, you must go into settings again to make sure data sending is completely turned off).

6 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

I'm pretty sure this is Windows Update doing its (ever annoying) thing of taking up system resources. Randomly checks for updates? Network and CPU usage. Nothing to install? Damn thing will never rest anyway, and, as quick as Microsoft is in patching vulnerabilities, bugs and the like, they don't use a package manager the same way popular Linux distros do.

The most punishing moment is when it's installing the updates, and inmediately after that. Full (for me, at least) disk usage (I'm a music production enthusiast, and that is everything intensive), high CPU usage...

The thing is, that little piece of s**t uses Windows Update, Windows Modules Installer Worker, blah, blah, blah... It will use up hardware during and a good while after the updates are installed.

I'm actually using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit because of this. It leaves more stuff in the hands of the user, and I hate having low performance on an already ridiculously demanding plugin (such as EZDrummer or Kontakt) because the damn updates never truly finish.

The bottom line is: need good performance and need it now? Get Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is great and all, but I like 8.1 better because of performance on low-end machines. (I tried playing TF2 on Win8.1, NVIDIA GeForce 9200 and I got about 20-25 FPS. Same hardware on Win10 gave me less than 5).

I can't help you on Windows 10. The most you can do (to my knowledge) is disable all things like Superfetch, indexing and the like plus doing all system maintenance while you're not using the computer. Get it over with every once in a while, basically.

8 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Yes, Windows has made it hard on us to avoid things now. It may download an update without notice, but will wait to install it until "inactive hours". I've literally had it restart on me in the middle of a game after it installed an update without me knowing. The newest "anniversary update" added this active hours thing as a primary for update preferences. So yeah, just set that, should help.

EDIT: It's only the "System" process that's eating up the usage, right? And just making sure, you've gone through the privacy options in security? Make sure it is not sending ANY data to Microsoft(It is set to SOME data, if you chose the option earlier, you must go into settings again to make sure data sending is completely turned off).

Yes just system that's staying high in usage. I just changed the active hrs to 6am-7am as I'm usually still in bed or not home then.

run > msconfig > services > sort by name > go down to windows update > unselect > apply and restart

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, ndfr623 said:

SNIP

LOL, yeah if you've got a HDD, you're pretty much out of luck during an update, may aswell sit back and let it runs its course and stop everything you're doing. I just built a new PC with a M.2 as my OS drive, sooooo much better, except during the download phase where it takes up all my network.

3 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Yes just system that's staying high in usage. I just changed the active hrs to 6am-7am as I'm usually still in bed or not home then.

Set your active hours as the hours you USE the computer, this will tell the computer you are away for the other hours.

2 minutes ago, mok said:

run > msconfig > services > sort by name > go down to windows update > unselect > apply and restart

I don't know if I would completely disable Windows update, even though it's a total nuisance. Windows update does do some good by also checking for missing or out-of-date system and essential hardware drivers.

3 minutes ago, DrJones said:

may aswell sit back and let it runs its course 

But I can't tamper and/or experiment with anything that way... *cries in corner*

2 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I don't know if I would completely disable Windows update, even though it's a total nuisance. Windows update does do some good by also checking for missing or out-of-date system and essential hardware drivers.

just be thankful that its not as bad as the memory leak from Windows 7 updates

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, ndfr623 said:

But I can't tamper and/or experiment with anything that way... *cries in corner*

God forbid if you click something. Hourglass of death lol

Just now, DrJones said:

Hourglass of death lol

I literally just laughed and said "Totally!!" out loud... xD

1 minute ago, mok said:

just be thankful that its not as bad as the memory leak from Windows 7 updates

Don't remind me, along with Windows 8 when it first came out. And the never ending disk usage of 8 also :S

10 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Set your active hours as the hours you USE the computer, this will tell the computer you are away for the other hours.

Ok I changed it again, will see if that helps at all. 

1 minute ago, Bion1985 said:

Ok I changed it again, will see if that helps at all.

Best of luck! Let us know if it helps!

36 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Best of luck! Let us know if it helps!

It seems to be still doing it. It's like constantly at about 17%

7 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

It seems to be still doing it. It's like constantly at about 17%

Hmmmmm...Is it doing it all the time or does it ever go down? "System" can mean a lot of things, it could be because of anti-virus software, network usage and handling, really any of your key processes. Is anything else being used up when you see this? Is there a trend of any kind? By the way, disable cortana too, you can still use her search bar but it will get rid of location, Bluetooth, and all that other crap. Speaking of, the computer isn't actively searching for Bluetooth or networks is it?

EDIT: Are you using Windows Defender and are all drivers up to date?

Just now, DrJones said:

Hmmmmm...Is it doing it all the time or does it ever go down? "System" can mean a lot of things, it could be because of anti-virus software, network usage and handling, really any of your key processes. Is anything else being used up when you see this? Is there a trend of any kind? By the way, disable cortana too, you can still use her search bar but it will get rid of location, Bluetooth, and all that other crap. Speaking of, the computer isn't actively searching for Bluetooth or networks is it?

Cortina is off, just restarted so will have to check other processes if it starts using cpu again. As for Bluetooth pretty sure I have it off currently and as for constantly searching for wireless networks not sure, how can I check?

4 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Cortina is off, just restarted so will have to check other processes if it starts using cpu again. As for Bluetooth pretty sure I have it off currently and as for constantly searching for wireless networks not sure, how can I check?

Well it shouldn't be searching if you are connected to a network already (assuming you are). But if you're connected to a wired connection, just turn off wifi in the network settings. Only thing I can think of is drivers. If it's not any of those things, I'm sorry but I'm out of options, System is just such a broad process.

It's not doing it right now, updated some Chipset drivers. Will have to see if it starts up again and if any other processes are using a sizeable amount of cpu. Also I'm currently connected to the Internet via wifi 

13 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

It's not doing it right now, updated some Chipset drivers. Will have to see if it starts up again and if any other processes are using a sizeable amount of cpu. Also I'm currently connected to the Internet via wifi

Okay, good. So does it do it on startup and then slow down and eventually stop or does it do it randomly?

11 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Okay, good. So does it do it on startup and then slow down and eventually stop or does it do it randomly?

Seems at random sorta. Like for example it was not running high usage prior to me playing World of Warcraft. I just exited the game and checked task manager and it's up at 17% was spiked higher then it calmed you 17%

As far as other tasks running the top 5 are all at nearly 0% usage under system that's at 17% wmi provider host might use .5% and system interrupts maybe .1%

On 9/20/2016 at 2:53 PM, DrJones said:

It's still doing it, usually not right away but like 10-20 minutes after I turn the pc on. Seems to be able to be corrected if I restsrt. But when I pack my laptop away and get it out the next day to use it usually does it on power up with the 15-20 minute delay as stated.