27" 1440p or 29" 1080p? Is it possible to run 34" 1440p?

Mrki

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I'll try to make this doubt as shorter as I can and I hope you will help me out. First of all my configuration si not so good, but for my needs is ok (70% internet, 20% office work, 10% games), I have Intel i3 4330, ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II 2 Gb, HyperX 8 Gb RAM... and old ASUS VW 21.6 monitor 1680x1050p.

I was wagering between upgrade on 27" 16:9 1440p or 29" 21:9 1080p up to 450 EUR and I've bought Samsung S29e790C 29" ultrawide monitor, which was good monitor, but I've returned it because of few things (bad pixel, booth sides of panel were slightly open which is error from factory and it's usuall for Samsung products comparing to the other brands, also when I was buying TV Panasonic was much more quality buld compareing to Samsung and big AND monitor needed some calibration).

To get back to the point, I loved 21:9 for having 2 windows opened, It's great in World of tanks, altho tank does look somewhat longer, but on the other hand I do not know if it's better then 27" 16:9 because it looks little low on height (he's shorter in height then ASUS 21,6 inch monitor I have).

Then I've noticed 34" 3440x1440p which would cover all minuses of booth monitors described up, but the price is big for me so my question is: Is it worth waiting for price to drop for 34" considering my configuration and taking in note my needs, or should I choose one of the 27" 16:9 or 29" 21:9? 

My favorites are (because I like silver/white combinations) 27": Dell U2715H, Acer H277HU.

29": ASUS MX299Q, 

or to wait something other 29" or 34" arroud Christmas to come in budget. 

Thanks in advance!

For your use case I would probably go for the 1080p or 1440p screen. If you spent more of your time gaming or on office work then 21:9 would be an easier case to argue, but that extra horizontal space doesn't really get any use during web browsing. If you were to jump on a 21:9 screen though I would highly recommend making it a 34'' and  3440*1440 one though as 29'' is quite small for an ultrawide and less pixels on a large monitor like that is not ideal.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Well, the 1440p seems great, but I do not think your PC will be able to handle more demanding games at that resolution. Try looking up some benchmarks on that resolution with your GPU and then make a decision. I would go with the 1080p any day. 

Yes but for a future, let's say one year I will probably upgrade cpu and gpu, monitor I don't change for few years. Then probably best bet is 27" 1440p as you sugested. I was wondering is it possible to adjust 34" monitor 1440p (close to 5 mil. Pixels) to show 27" 1440p (3,6 mil. Pixels) picture? They are the same height, let's say if I play game and put it that way with black bars on booth sides, it's big difference in pixels and GPU demands? Has anyone tried this? I'm just asking this if eventually I grab 34" monitor on action so maybe I could survive untill GPU and CPU upgrade. Thanks.

I would get the 1440p beacuse you can always switch to a lower resolution in settings, that automaticly makes it better. You can change aspect ratio and place the black bars, but performance wise it will not matter that much. With your setup you should get at least playable fps at 1440p and better if you lower it to 1080p in settings. Hope I helped.