Help for getting a laptop to use its dedictated gpu

Godcer
Go to solution Solved by Shingouki,
4 minutes ago, Godcer said:

Yeah, I think it has some sort of dynamic switiching between the gpus. I noticed some time ago and I tried to go into the BIOS and disable the dynamic switching, maybe that caused it to only use the integrated one. I have my computing running off wallpower and have removed the battery.

Then why aren't you setting it ON again to see if your assumption is right?

Also, since this is an AMD not Nvidia (my error, sorry)
There should be a voice even in the catalyst

I have an old laptop that I am still using. It has a dedicated GPU (6770m) but I don't think it is being used and therefore uses the less powerfull Intel HD Graphics. Is there an easy way I can make the dedictated GPU be the main one? I ran dxdiag and the only gpu that showed up was Intel's. I also checked using CPU-Z and it found both of the gpus. In CPU-Z it shows no information for clock- or memoryspeed for the 6770m, and it said it had 0 MBytes of memory.

I have been thinking of going into device manager and deactivate the Intel gpu, but I am afraid that if I do that nothing will work at all.

17 minutes ago, Godcer said:

I have an old laptop that I am still using. It has a dedicated GPU (6770m) but I don't think it is being used and therefore uses the less powerfull Intel HD Graphics. Is there an easy way I can make the dedictated GPU be the main one? I ran dxdiag and the only gpu that showed up was Intel's. I also checked using CPU-Z and it found both of the gpus. In CPU-Z it shows no information for clock- or memoryspeed for the 6770m, and it said it had 0 MBytes of memory.

I have been thinking of going into device manager and deactivate the Intel gpu, but I am afraid that if I do that nothing will work at all.

Do you have the drivers for the dGPU? Download Piriform Speccy and that should tell you what the display is connected on.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Do you have the drivers for the dGPU? Download Piriform Speccy and that should tell you what the display is connected on.

Speccy says the monitor is running on the Intel graphics. I do have drivers for the dGPU, in the windows Device manager it says I have the 15.201.1151.0 drivers.

I just updated to 15.201.1151.1008. Still, there seems to be no change at all. The Intel gpu is still the one driving the monitor

You have to download the laptop's proprietary software. On the manufacturer's site you should be able to find the program you're looking for

Just now, Shingouki said:

You have to download the laptop's proprietary software. On the manufacturer's site you should be able to find the program you're looking for

That is going to be difficult. I have tried doing that a couple times before, but I gave up. It is an HP Pavilion dv7-6140eo believe

1 minute ago, Godcer said:

That is going to be difficult. I have tried doing that a couple times before, but I gave up. It is an HP Pavilion dv7-6140eo believe

Those computers usually have a dynamic type of switches between integrated and dedicated GPU. It's for saving battery: if you're on battery and want to write a word document, it totally turns off the Nvidia GPU (it asks for it or you can set as default), but if you're plugged on power outlet, it asks if you want to use the dedicated GPU.

There should be something on the site...

Just now, Shingouki said:

Those computers usually have a dynamic type of switches between integrated and dedicated GPU. It's for saving battery: if you're on battery and want to write a word document, it totally turns off the Nvidia GPU (it asks for it or you can set as default), but if you're plugged on power outlet, it asks if you want to use the dedicated GPU.

There should be something on the site...

Yeah, I think it has some sort of dynamic switiching between the gpus. I noticed some time ago and I tried to go into the BIOS and disable the dynamic switching, maybe that caused it to only use the integrated one. I have my computing running off wallpower and have removed the battery.

4 minutes ago, Godcer said:

13 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

I have now changed the BIOS to 'dynamic' instead of 'static'. Does not seem to have made any difference, it stills seems like it is not being used at all. I have also tried to use Catalyst and I have tried to set all the settings to use the gpu associated with 'Power mode'

However it looks like it is being used when a program that requires more GPU power is being run. I always thought that it just sat there and did nothing, must have been because I didn't look at it while such a program was running. It seems that when I set the BIOS to 'statitc' it just disable det dGPU. Just turning it back to 'dynamic' as it should be was the fix. Should just not have messed with it in the first place.