Need help with planning a freenas server build

Xtreme Gamer

Hey guys, so i'm planning on building a freenas server. The problem is that I want to get a consumer board with ecc ram support with plenty of sata ports, or at least a pcie lane or 2 to get more sata ports. I want it to be either an atx or micro atx form factor. Because, I am pretty sure I will do a server rack build with this chassis.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Server-Chassis-Rackmount-Metal/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V7R57CNK62247SVXDKET

Also, I don't know of a decent/good server rack that can hold it that's cheap enough. I'm not sure if I will use rails, but I think I will. For the drives, i'm pretty sure I will go with wd red drives. and maybe an ssd for boot drive. The freenas server will be for file storage, backups, media (Plex) and possibly virtual machines. I really appreciate the help guys!!!!

PS: Just curious about this. Is it possible to use a desktop computer to boot a vm from freenas without the desktop having an OS? If I remember right, don't some businesses or people do that? I might be understanding it wrong, but I think they do that. I hope i'm making sense to you guys.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

6 minutes ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

Hey guys, so i'm planning on building a freenas server. The problem is that I want to get a consumer board with ecc ram support with plenty of sata ports, or at least a pcie lane or 2 to get more sata ports. I want it to be either an atx or micro atx form factor. Because, I am pretty sure I will do a server rack build with this chassis.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Server-Chassis-Rackmount-Metal/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V7R57CNK62247SVXDKET

Also, I don't know of a decent/good server rack that can hold it that's cheap enough. I'm not sure if I will use rails, but I think I will. For the drives, i'm pretty sure I will go with wd red drives. and maybe an ssd for boot drive. The freenas server will be for file storage, backups, media (Plex) and possibly virtual machines. I really appreciate the help guys!!!!

PS: Just curious about this. Is it possible to use a desktop computer to boot a vm from freenas without the desktop having an OS? If I remember right, don't some businesses or people do that? I might be understanding it wrong, but I think they do that. I hope i'm making sense to you guys.

Please don't. Seriously.

FreeNAS doesn't have virtualization if I remember correctly. If you want virtual machines you'll need to get an OS like UnRAID. You can setup programs in your FreeNAS for use with computers but you would need an OS anyways.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Please don't. Seriously.

FreeNAS doesn't have virtualization if I remember correctly. If you want virtual machines you'll need to get an OS like UnRAID. You can setup programs in your FreeNAS for use with computers but you would need an OS anyways.

I read somewhere that it supports virtual box for vm's, and why not use an ssd for boot drive. Shouldn't it make things faster?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu