PC for work

yakayo

Hi!

I'm from Europe (Hungary). I want to build a PC for 3D work. Budget is under 1500EUR. No monitor or other peripherals needed. Rendering a lot with CPU (maxwell render), and GPU (Arion), 3D modelling with Max and Maya. It has to handle heavy scenes with a lots of geometry easily (lots of vegetation, trees, etc.) I want to use it for VR also, for realtime visualisation in Unreal Engine 4. Maybe later I want to upgrade the config with another GPU, so motherboard must have SLI.
1TB HDD and 250GB SSD is enough.

My thoughts:
Intel core i7-6700k
GTX 1070
2x16GB RAM

I want to have a configuration where if I need I can later upgrade the power supply and buy a second video card.

Thank You for your help!

If you render that much, won't the x99 platform be more beneficial for you? You btw already have case and PSU for your needs?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Gonio said:

If you render that much, won't the x99 platform be more beneficial for you? You btw already have case and PSU for your needs?

No, I have nothing yet,  just a monitor and  peripherals. Sorry, but I don't know the x99 platform. What is that?

2 minutes ago, yakayo said:

No, I have nothing yet,  just a monitor and  peripherals. Sorry, but I don't know the x99 platform. What is that?

It is enthusiast platform that supports CPUs with more than 4 cores.

If you can fit it in your budget I would suggest 6 core i7 6800k which is on X99 platform.

Ah :) The x99 platform uses  the workhorse CPU's from Intel and is similar to Xeons. It has more cores, more support for RAM and other stuff, more PCI lanes etc... But also costs more. Might be an issue for your total budget. But if you render much and heavy on your CPU it might still be worthwhile investement.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Oh, I see, that's sounds nice! Hope it will fit into my budget.

9 hours ago, Gonio said:

Ah :) The x99 platform uses  the workhorse CPU's from Intel and is similar to Xeons. It has more cores, more support for RAM and other stuff, more PCI lanes etc... But also costs more. Might be an issue for your total budget. But if you render much and heavy on your CPU it might still be worthwhile investement.

with the 6700k I get around 900 points in Cinebench R15, and it costs ~330EUR

with the 6800k 1000-1100 points for ~400EUR

for <200EUR from ebay I could get two Xeon E5-2670 wich makes 2000 points in CB

Wouldn't be a better choice to get the Xeons?

What kind of motherboard do I need for those CPU-s?

Can I put at least one GTX 1070 in it, or later two GTX 1070-s?

I know those Xeon CPU-s are compatible only with DDR3 memories, but I guess that's not big of a deal for that horsepower, am I right?