Haven't build a pc in over 10 years, things done changed....

delroyjones

Hello LTT Forums

So I've spent the last 5 months saving up and I've finally decided enough's enough, I've bought my dream "no compromise" pc (hype!!). Basically my entire life I've never really had any money, PC wise I always "made do" with whatever I could get my hands on (using literal hand me downs from my buddy when it came to GPU's). I finally got a solid job as a web developer and I've been able to realise what has become a 20 year dream of having a pc that could run with the big boys.

Now I'm cool with the installation when it comes to hardware but there are a couple of areas where I have NO idea how to optimise my system correctly and wanted to ask you fine people for some help in this area.

I'll list the parts I have purchased below (mainly for e-peen touching) so you know what I'm dealing with incase this affects how I should go about getting this bad boy in order.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

Motherboard: Asus X99 A-II

CPU: i7 5820k

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB @ 3200mHz

Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 + 2TB WD Black

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Seahawk

PSU: EVGA 750w G2

Fans: 3x 120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB 2x 140mm ML Pro RGB (2 120's for the front, 1 for the GPU rad. 2 140's for the Kraken)

Monitor: Acer Predator X34

Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB, Razer Deathadder 2013 RGB and some M-Audio monitor speakers I cant remember the name of (theyre downstairs and im being lazy)

So my question is this:

1. What do I need to do to set up my BIOS correctly, I know the motherboard has that fancy one click overclock software which I will probably use since I don't really have any experience custom overclocking and frankly I dont want to spend another £300 or so on a new CPU if I mess it up!

2. PWM fan control.....W@?

3. Setting up my graphics to get the most out of it, I've heard people talking about setting up custom fan curves etc but I'm really not sure what I'm doing here, this machine is a monster and I want to set it up so I'm using it to it's full potential (plus it's just awesome to learn this stuff!)

4. Anything else I'm too dumb to know yet :P

I know it's quite alot to ask and I really do appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I'M SO EXCITED TO BUILD THIS TOMORROW!!!!!

3 minutes ago, delroyjones said:

I know it's quite alot to ask and I really do appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I'M SO EXCITED TO BUILD THIS TOMORROW!!!!!

As for GPU and CPU overclocking ( To be completely honest CPU OCing is much easier than GPU ) Just along as you don't over do it and go easy. For a 5820k I think something like 1.32-1.35v and a 3.8-4.0Ghz OC should be no problem. 4.2 should even be do able. Enable XMP Profile for RAM.

GPU Fan Curves and stuff MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision are fan favorites for overclocking and other tasks.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Thanks for the advice dude, I'm sure it will all become clear once I get the remaining parts tomorrow :)