Upgrading Graphics Card not improving gaming fps

I just upgraded to a gtx 1070 from gtx 760 and hope to see some improvement in fps in GTA V, but the fps remains around the same at 60fps. Is my system bottlenecked somewhere or thermal throttling?  All drivers are up to date.

MSI Z87M-G43

Intel Core i5 4430

Zotac GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Kingston 2 x 4GB RAM DDR3

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Cooler Master GX II 550W

Phanteks P400s Case

ASUS MX239H Monitor

Just now, suyac said:

Hello. My first guess would be that you have a 60hz monitor and you play with vsync on. true / false ?

My thoughts as well. 

But turning off VSYNC would result in tearing, right? I have tried turning off VSYNC as well , but most of the time the fps was hovering about 60-70fps, which is inconsistent with the general performance of the GTX 1070?

Check your CPU usage while playing. GTA V is CPU intensive game so maybe here is your bottleneck.

test other games and see what are your GPU usage and CPU usage

also did you update your GPU drivers?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yeah your CPU is in the range of being a bottleneck. It probably can't deliver data fast enough for the 1070 to perform optimal. A 1070 should crush any game at 1080p 60Hz with a good CPU combi.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

it should but download Unigine Heaven

run a test with both GTX760 and the 1070

see if the fps did go up

also use GPU-Z ID or MSI Afterburner and look at the GPU usage graphs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Aye the 4770 is a step forward. So it all depends on the cost related to that and possible look at current gen build. Obviously the CPU alone is cheaper and requires no new mobo + RAM.. But still somehting I would consider.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

most games require a i5-5400 or newer I thought. Would recommend a 6600k for overclockability, and a z170 board for a good upgrade

Probably CPU bottleneck, did you totally max out the game with distance scaling and shits?

Also can try tweak your system RAM timing, GTA5 love fast memory.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Once CPU utilization hits over 60%, it might start to cap the fps you get from a game. The point is that the CPU loads games generate are very inconsistent in time. For a few milliseconds a game might double its CPU utilization and then go back to normal. If this maxes out your CPU often enough, the game will lower its fps to avoid jitters.

My i7 4790 is caping my fps when playing Doom with my GTX 1080, but my utilization is far lower than what you're getting. That said, I still get 60fps at 4k maxed without AA easily and you don't need AA in 4K. I wish benchmarkers would stop lying about 4K performance, AA is unnecessary and way too expensive at 4K, but I digress.

I upgraded from the i5 4430 to the i7 4790k and noticed a marked improvement in CPU heavy work. The i7 4790k would also be the best card you can get that is compatible with your mobo.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma