Can I petition a "troubleshooting" forum update?

LukeS

So recently, I've noticed a lack of information on posts. Can we please get a forum that can be filled out before someone submits a troubleshooting page?

For example, on the forum, it would have:
Y/N Harddrive backup

Y/N Updated Drivers

Y/N Hardware problem

etc.

It would make troubleshooting MUCH easier if we had more system specs than just "haelp me my intraneet dieled on my PC but workie on my phne why this hpn?" Also, there should be an age restriction on the forums, since I feel like I am dealing with 5 year olds half the time....

Thank-you for your time,

-LukeS

I_M_3rd

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Lol, i wonder what 5 year old kid would write down "My internet just died" so badly. I dont think posts have lacked information, but theres always someone that knows more of the topic rather than others and most of the times, when someone doesnt know something, they click the post, see if they can help, if they cant, they leave. Also, sometimes quick searching the op topic online, most of the times actually solves/guides them into fixing theyr problems, which is sometimes funny, because they come here first rather than looking it up :p.

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Lol, i wonder what 5 year old kid would write down theyr internet just died so badly. I dont think posts have lacked information, but theres always someone that knows more of the topic rather than others and most of the times, when someone doesnt know something, they click the post, see if they can help, if they cant, they leave.

Yes, while you are correct in saying there is a "professional opinion" part of the forum, I have experience with most technological issues (from server all the way to mobile), so I tend to go through the normal trouble shooting algorithm (is it plugged in? Is it the hardware? Is it the device? Is it the operating system? etc). So it would be nice to have an option to have it there already. For example, if I am having a browser issue, I tell the company my OS, RAM/Memory, and Graphics because it will exclude any system errors.

Hope this further explain my rant.

-LukeS

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

the thing is that stuff needs to be explained too because not everyone knows what drivers are

Just now, LukeS said:

-snip-

Alright i got it. Problem is, most of the times the person asking for help probably wont have even tested one of those options, hence why they couldnt see the "What the user has already done to attempt to solve its problem" being sought enough to justify. Would be nice to add it tough, especially if in a similar way to question polls.

Groomlake Authority

The issue with that is that it kind of locks down what people can ask about. For situations where people want a quick answer to a fairly easy question, it's a pain to go through a form first. There is a "read before posting" topic at the top of the troubleshooting subforum. Unfortunately, not everyone reads it, just as not everyone posts in the correct subforum to begin with. It's just something that you have to deal with. 

If you don't like how someone words a post, don't reply. Move on to another post that you are okay with. An age restriction on the forum on basis of how people type seems ridiculous to me. There's plenty of people who would meet the age requirements that aren't great at communicating, just as there are younger ones who are good at it. What about non-native speakers/typers? It would just cut off a fairly significant part of the LinusTechTips audience and would ultimately be detrimental to younger viewers getting involved in the technology community.