Silentish audio/video/gaming machine

it_dont_work

Time to finally replace my aging fx system! It was actually pretty good in its day, just the 'its day' stopped in about 2013...

I'm looking for a much more quiet system, since my new place doesn't allow my pc to be locked in away in a hardwood cupboard. I'm getting back into audio and video editing, since I'm now also teaching media studies, so I really want to tame the noise a little. I'm mainly using premier and pro tools, although I do some gaming too so keep that in mind with any advice as well as run an xp virtual machine for some compatibility programs/games (gotta play me some croc). My upgrade cycle has been a complete new system every 5-6 years, so besides my ssd a couple hdd and the odd (yea i know...I kinda need it though) I've dropped the idea of keeping my psu and cpu cooler and putting them in my new build since that would leave me with a useless box of hardware.

build.

Be Quiet! base 800 - maybe a define r5, any other suggestions. I do need two 5.25 bays

i7 6700k + corsair 280 aio of some sort - how loud are pumps really never had an aio?

Asus z170 ar - Reviews look good for a modest OC, and the mobo fan control looks awesome for keeping thing quiet, and ramping up when gaming.

32gb 2133 probably hyperX - Here's a contentious point for me, I'm not base clock overclocking and RAM seems to be pretty good in quality these days, can I save a few bucks with generic ram? does ddr4 really need heat spreaders

Gainward GLH 1080 - Cheapest 1080 in aus atm I can find, ugly as hell but reviews on noise oc and the cooler all look really good. Case doesn't have a window either so who cares if its ugly. Maybe a 1070 instead

750-800watt psu -  haven't decided what yet, more power than I need, but should be around the peak of the efficiency curve for most 80+ power supplies for the draw this system will actually use.

Probably a couple more pwm 140mm fans.

From the old system.

Combo dvd/bluray drive

3.5 external rack

850 evo

2x 2tb wd blues

I've been looking at getting into VR as well for some flight/space sims too. but that isn't really a priority since I think I'd prefer a couple more 27" 1440p monitors (not for this build yet). While my budget is fuild it's around 2-2500 aud, less is better. What do you guys think, could I prioritise some other bits to keep things quiet, or is there something better value than what I've picked out?

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

you might also consider getting some more padding inside the case to make it even more silent :)

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

I thought about that, but both the define r5 and base 800 are kinda foamed up already. I don't track vocals and voice overs in the same room as my pc anymore, so I kinda just want something quiet enough to edit, even now I have my monitors up kinda loud since my hearing's shot from working live gigs. Hear that kids? get some dam ear plugs because I can't anymore!

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

The psu might be a bit overkill :) You should be okay with 550-650 :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Yea psu is overkill, and maybe realistically a 550 at 70ish% load wont cost more to run than a 750 as 50% load. A bigger supply though wont be running as hot so will probably be quieter, this I don't know though.

11 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Yea psu is overkill, and maybe realistically a 550 at 70ish% load wont cost more to run than a 750 as 50% load. A bigger supply though wont be running as hot so will probably be quieter, this I don't know though.

the thing is that bigger PSU are worse when it comes to power effitiency at lower wattages, since the 80+ rating is the optimal wattage when the PSU has the effitiency :) So smaller PSU might be a little bit more efficient.

To the part that it wont run as hot or quieter, that isnt not true since the current going through is the same f.e. 400w in 550w PSU or in 750w PSU is still 400w :) :) That is what generates heat not the PSU itself :)

Yea that was what I was leaning towards, since the conversion still has to shed off the energy through the mosfets to make the dc voltages.