Need help deciding if it's worth it

flare4000

So I am currently running on a i7 930 with a hd 7970. As you can tell the computer runs really hot due to the power it requires. I wondering if upgrading my computer to more efficient components would help with the heat. My cpu currently idles at 50 degrees and my gpu idles at around 40 degrees, both components are currently stock or underclocked.

Planned build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gNgxHN

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

Idle temps don't really matter. What are your load temps?

If you need an upgrade for more performance, tell us where your current performance is lacking. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My pc is running almost 24/7 because it's running plex for my family so idle temps kind of matter, performance honestly is fine just looking to decrease temps and I was thinking that more efficient parts would help with that as ventilation cannot be improved. At load gpu runs around mid to high 80s cpu probs peaks around 65-70 at load, If I do go with the new build I will still be using the same storage and psu.

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

8 minutes ago, flare4000 said:

My pc is running almost 24/7 because it's running plex for my family so idle temps kind of matter, performance honestly is fine just looking to decrease temps and I was thinking that more efficient parts would help with that as ventilation cannot be improved. At load gpu runs around mid to high 80s cpu probs peaks around 65-70 at load,

I mean your temps are okay honestly, maybe the GPU is a bit high. but if its running fine for you, don't worry about it! If youd rather upgrade and save on temps and energy and even get better performance, do it! as long as your not running the wallet dry, you know? :) but you could easily stay where you are, you don't Need to upgrade for now. personally, I would do it!

This really isn't that important, but you might watch to switch the 2x4 GB Ram Sticks to one 8 GB stick. The itx board only holds 2 slots, so an 8 GB stick would allow you to upgrade to 16 GB more easily.

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX

16 hours ago, flare4000 said:

My pc is running almost 24/7 because it's running plex for my family so idle temps kind of matter, performance honestly is fine just looking to decrease temps and I was thinking that more efficient parts would help with that as ventilation cannot be improved. At load gpu runs around mid to high 80s cpu probs peaks around 65-70 at load, If I do go with the new build I will still be using the same storage and psu.

Idle temps don't matter in that they aren't high enough to be anything to worry about. 

Those load temps are fine.

You need to quote a post or tag a member pr else they won't get a notification you replied to that.

15 hours ago, Eric Hawkins said:

This really isn't that important, but you might watch to switch the 2x4 GB Ram Sticks to one 8 GB stick. The itx board only holds 2 slots, so an 8 GB stick would allow you to upgrade to 16 GB more easily.

That's just wasting money--might as well just get a 2x8gb kit instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Idle temps don't matter in that they aren't high enough to be anything to worry about. 

Those load temps are fine.

You need to quote a post or tag a member pr else they won't get a notification you replied to that.

That's just wasting money--might as well just get a 2x8gb kit instead.

That's a good point, just wasn't sure  if he wants to spend the extra few bucks. You're definitely right about it being worth it though.

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX