Windows 8 Crashes?

Emmanrocks

My computer randomly freezes and i don't know why. some applications keep on working while it is frozen, and i can play the games or use the applications that are not frozen (like right now on chrome) but i cannot open task manager, neither can I CTRL ALT DEL. I also get a random pop up saying:

Microsoft Windows

The application is not responding. the program may respond again if you wait. Do you want to end the process?

That has been doing this for a day now and I don't know what is happening. It happens randomly and i usually only notice it when i try to open a new application but it also happens when i play a game like League of Legends or Binding of Isaac. The only way to fix it is to Hard boot my computer and it happens maybe 3 times per hours. HELP!

Thanks, Emmanrocks

PS. Could it be my SSD (OCZ Vector) ? its about a month old and this never happened before.

Sounds to me a SATA controller problem (driver issue), or your SSD.

If your SATA Controller set to AHCI mode in the BIOS/UEFI?

Assuming it is, I would get the latest SATA controller drivers for your system where you SSD is, and install them. Restart your computer once done, of course. Also, just to exclude them, if you have any unused SATA controllers on your motherboard, be sure to disable them in the BIOS/UEFI. If that does not help, check for a firmware update for your SSD. With SSD's, always be sure to have the latest firmware before putting any data on it.

If that doesn't help, then it sounds like its the SSD that is faulty.

Alright sorry for the long time to reply but I'm on my phone because its jamming every 10 seconds. I realized in windows updates that a data controller update doesn't seem to be able to be installed. Right now I'm just downloading windows 7 on my other harddrive so there is a bunch of updates

Sata controller* sorry I can't edit posts on my phone.

Ok I see what's going on. The SATA driver fails to install/update because it gets corrupted during the transfer.

Basically, what is happening is that your motherboard uses a special SATA controller. Not fully standard. Ok so what to do? You need to re-install Windows completely (the same effect you'll get if you had put Win7). And when you get to the screen to select the drive/partition where you want to install Windows:

Install-Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-in-Virtual-Box--26.png

You want to insert a USB key, with the SATA drivers extracted in it, and then click on Load Drivers blue link that you see. And then select the drivers inside the USB drive.

Then resume the installation of Windows, and you should be good.

im sorry but i do not know much about this. i bought my computer from dell and it didnt come with any cds for installation. right now i am on the dell website looking for the drivers

This is just to show you the update and what happens when i try to install it. and it also to make sure if this could possibly be the cause of it.

post-1318-13667862012489_thumb.png

post-1318-13667862013105_thumb.png

ok i just reinstalled windows completely and the driver installed correctly. everything works thanks for the help !