Weird Question..

Awakening

How tall is a PCIe slot/space between PCB of GPU and motherboard? I want to use a heatsink on a 950 Pro, but it'll be directly under a GPU. Do you think a 3 mm tall heatsink would fit?

9 minutes ago, Spartan Jack 17 said:

A 3mm tall heatsink???

Yep. Should be tall enough considering it'll be a full solid cover over the 950 Pro as opposed to three smaller separate heatsinks for each chip. Don't have much of a choice anyways.

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

PCBs are on the top of GPUS, you shouldn't be making contact with them

I don't think you understand. I'm not doing anything to the back side of the GPU or even anything to the GPU in general, it's just in the way. The m.2 slot is under and behind the slot where my GPU will be, therefore the 950 Pro will have to be mounted under the GPU. Obviously, there's not a whole lot of space between where the 950 Pro would be and where the GPU hangs above it.

So, I basically need to know how tall a PCIe slot is to find out if a 3 mm heatsink will even fit, with both the drive and heatsink probably ending up around 6 mm tall.

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

Yep. Should be tall enough considering it'll be a full solid cover over the 950 Pro as opposed to three smaller separate heatsinks for each chip. Don't have much of a choice anyways.

I don't think you understand. The m.2 slot is under and behind the slot where my GPU will be, therefore the 950 Pro will have to be mounted under the GPU. Obviously, there's not a whole lot of space between where the 950 Pro would be and where the GPU hangs above it.

So, I basically need to know how tall a PCIe slot is to find out if a 3 mm heatsink will even fit, with both the drive and heatsink probably ending up around 6 mm tall.

I think you're confusing centimetres (cm) with millimetres (mm).  Three mm is around the thickness of a standard USB cable.

15 minutes ago, Spartan Jack 17 said:

I think you're confusing centimetres (cm) with millimetres (mm).  Three mm is around the thickness of a standard USB cable.

26 minutes ago, Spartan Jack 17 said:

A 3mm tall heatsink???

Nope. I'm not. Took a few minutes, but this is what I mean:

rGC7r0x.png

Green: PCB, Black: Mounts/PCIe slot, Red+Pink: m.2 SSD+Flash Chips, Blue: Heatsink

As you can see by the diagram, it would help tremendously in figuring out if I had enough room for the heatsink if I knew how tall the PCIe slot was.

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

Nope. I'm not. Took a few minutes, but this is what I mean:

rGC7r0x.png

Green: PCB, Black: Mounts/PCIe slot, Red: m.2 SSD, Blue: Heatsink

As you can see by the diagram, it would help tremendously in figuring out if I had enough room for the heatsink if I knew how tall the PCIe slot was.

Now I see.  I don't think it'll fit under it, but is there anything stopping you from putting your GPU under your 950 pro?

4 minutes ago, Spartan Jack 17 said:

Now I see.  I don't think it'll fit under it, but is there anything stopping you from putting your GPU under your 950 pro?

I dunno, you tell me. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/XLs8TW/asus-motherboard-z170premium

Not sure if the bottom slot has x8 speeds or not. If it does, it looks like a triple-slot SLI bridge would line up with it. If so, that would fix everything and I could use whatever height heatsink I want.

Also, you got any motherboards around that you could measure the height of the PCIe slot? I literally can't find that info anywhere online /:

32 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

im guessing you dont own the mobo, gpu, 950 ssd and heat sink yet? if you do grab a ruler, or buy them all and just try it.

also wikipedia say 11.25 mm,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Physical_layer

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll probably just have to wait off on getting the heatsink until the motherboard and GPU get here to find out whether or not it'll even fit and if so to figure out the tallest that would fit for the best cooling performance.

If that 11.25 mm is right though, all of it should definitely be compatible. Might even be able to fit a 5-6 mm heatsink.