GPU keeps underclocking itself

Zaptecc

So I have an Nvidia GTS 450. I know it's old, I'm saving up for a new one right now. Anyways, it's been undeclocking itself a lot lately. After a few minutes of intensive load, it just slows waaaaaay down to 50 mhz core clock and 135 mhz memory clock. The temps never reach above 60C, and I'm pretty sure it's not a power issue. The only way I've found to fix it so far is to restart, but it's getting really annoying to finally launch a game just to realize I need to restart.

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Scythe Fuma 2, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4-3600, WD Black 500GB NVME SSD, 2TB WD Green HDD, ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING, SilverStone SX700-G, Cooler Master NR200P

Designed for Windows Vista

use DDU uninstaller to do a clean install of nvidia drivers?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I had a similar issue with my 560ti and I solved by doing this but it might not work for you:

Go to Nvidia control panel:

3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power management mode -> Prefer maximum performance

So in theory it shouldn't underclock itself anymore as a power saving feature and keep the clocks up.

try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Damikiller37 said:

I had a similar issue with my 560ti and I solved by doing this but it might not work for you:

Go to Nvidia control panel:

3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power management mode -> Prefer maximum performance

So in theory it shouldn't underclock itself anymore as a power saving feature and keep the clocks up.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll see how this works and if you don't get a response, it probably worked. :D

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Scythe Fuma 2, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4-3600, WD Black 500GB NVME SSD, 2TB WD Green HDD, ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING, SilverStone SX700-G, Cooler Master NR200P

3 minutes ago, mok said:

use DDU uninstaller to do a clean install of nvidia drivers?

This is a pretty fresh install of Windows 10, so I can't imagine it's the drivers.

PC Specs: