10 Pro vs Home

thatweirdguy69

Plans changed, atm I'm choosing between pro and home versions of windows 10. I'm only going to use my computer for gaming and browsing internet, and with that in my mind, I googled "what's the difference between pro and home versions". To my surprise, I couldn't find any significant difference. Obviously I don't need those enterprise functions, but pro version doesn't seem to have any advantages besides that. Well, I also heard that it wasn't possible to control updates on Home version, but it seems to have been fixed by now. I just don't understand, how a pro version can be almost twice as expensive with no advantages for average users. The more I think about it, the more it feels like I'm missing something. Am I? I have an already built pc and all I need for it now is OS.

Thanks in advance everyone :P

Pro includes domain support, I doubt you will need domain support and businesses will need domain support so they will have to spend the extra $100.

6 minutes ago, thatweirdguy69 said:

Plans changed, atm I'm choosing between pro and home versions of windows 10. I'm only going to use my computer for gaming and browsing internet, and with that in my mind, I googled "what's the difference between pro and home versions". To my surprise, I couldn't find any significant difference. Obviously I don't need those enterprise functions, but pro version doesn't seem to have any advantages besides that. Well, I also heard that it wasn't possible to control updates on Home version, but it seems to have been fixed by now. I just don't understand, how a pro version can be almost twice as expensive with no advantages for average users. The more I think about it, the more it feels like I'm missing something. Am I? I have an already built pc and all I need for it now is OS.

Well pro has the ability to use hyperV, which is needed for virtualization, say developing mobile apps in an emulator or smthing. but if you just plan on gaming you don't really need that so Home will be fine for your usecase.

Pro also supports RDP so you can connect to your pc remotely Home does not support this so you'll have to use a third party application like teamviewer

Edited by Matgeroe
forgot something

3 minutes ago, thatweirdguy69 said:

basically, PRO windows versions are more aimed for business and they cost more because they have ''file encryption'' and supports up to 2TB of RAM. Otherwise, just get HOME version and you will be fine. 

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Pro includes domain support, I doubt you will not need domain support and businesses will need domain support so they will have to spend the extra $100.

What can domain support be useful for in my case?

Just now, thatweirdguy69 said:

nothing

unless you're planning on building you own home network with an active directory. 

7 minutes ago, thatweirdguy69 said:

Sorry that was a typo, I don't think you will need domain support. 

Hm. Prices here in Russia are weird. Box Pro version of 10 is 215$, box Home version is 110$, but as an OEM Pro is worth just 140$. So now the question is: is it worth it to overpay just 30$ for those functions I probably won't need? Besides, as far as I know, OEM versions are bound to motherboard, so if it dies, I'll have to buy new windows. Is that true for Box versions? I have a B150-Pro motherboard and a CXM Corsair PSU so it's very unlikely that my motherboard will burn, but still.

Windows 10 Pro has everything that the Home edition has plus:

• Remote Desktop Host (so that means you can enable Windows Remote Desktop, and be able to connect to your system (assuming it is turned on, and also not sleeping) from the outside with Windows Remote Desktop from another PC or mobile device). All version of Windows has Remote Desktop Client, meaning it can only connect to another system.
  • Ability to delay Windows updates that aren't security updates from being downloaded and installed by up to 3 months.
  • BitLocker
  • Hyper-V
  • Define Group Policies
  • Able to join domain network.

Here is a full detail list:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

(Click on "Expand All")

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ability to delay Windows updates that aren't security updates from being downloaded and installed by up to 3 months.

So I assume that this is the only thing I should care about, right? Is it worth 100$ to have this feature? :/

Beisdes, I heard somewhere that after all those problems with automatic updates, microsoft released a free software for delaying unnecessary updates.

16 minutes ago, thatweirdguy69 said:

So I assume that this is the only thing I should care about, right? Is it worth 100$ to have this feature? :/

Beisdes, I heard somewhere that after all those problems with automatic updates, microsoft released a free software for delaying unnecessary updates.

That was for delaying drivers only. Which doesn't really work in all cases, sadly.

Basically, if you have hardware from good manufactures, and everything is Windows 10 supported, you should not have unexpected problems. Of course, error happens (i.e: Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. release a driver with a bug), and the millions of possible computer configuration doesn't help things, but those are usually rare.

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

That was for delaying drivers only. Which doesn't really work in all cases, sadly.

Basically, if you have hardware from good manufactures, and everything is Windows 10 supported, you should not have unexpected problems. Of course, error happens (i.e: Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. release a driver with a bug), and the millions of possible computer configuration doesn't help things, but those are usually rare.

Does this mean my pc will turn on and off when it wants to? Or is it just like some background updates those don't require rebooting pc or atleast allow me to reboot later? Thanks for helping me btw, you guys are really making it a lot easier for me.