No signal on monitor

Alepri99

Hi my pc has worked fine the last week when it started to not sending any signal to my monitor. Thinking it was a gpu issue i returned it (evga gtx 960) and they replaced it but nothing; then my motherboard died and i replaced it too but still no signal. what it could be?

Here's my config

Mobo: msi h81m-p33

CPU: intel i5-4460 @3.20 GHz

GPU: EVGA gtx 960 superclocked 2gb

RAM: hyper x fury ddr3 1600

PSU: corsair vs450w

HDD: wd 1tb

you haven't plug the cable to the mobo have you, i do it all the time on new builds lol

Just now, TheDev said:

you haven't plug the cable to the mobo have you, i do it all the time on new builds lol

i assure you that i've plugged all the cables :/

Just now, Alepri99 said:

i assure you that i've plugged all the cables :/

i mean have you plug the monitor cable into the mobo, because it need pluging in to the GPU 

Just now, TheDev said:

i mean have you plug the monitor cable into the mobo, because it need pluging in to the GPU 

yes i did it i'm not such a total derp :D

Just now, Alepri99 said:

yes i did it i'm not such a total derp :D

haha lol, i do it all the time, have you tried different cables, monitors?

1 minute ago, TheDev said:

haha lol, i do it all the time, have you tried different cables, monitors?

yup i've tried on different monitors and i even tried  with another pc with the same cable plugged into my monitorfor verifying that wasn't a monitor's issue but it works just fine....

1 minute ago, Alepri99 said:

yup i've tried on different monitors and i even tried  with another pc with the same cable plugged into my monitorfor verifying that wasn't a monitor's issue but it works just fine....

does the computer even POST (beep) after a few second after turning it on

Just now, TheDev said:

does the computer even POST (beep) after a few second after turning it on

my mobo doesn't have any post speaker :(

Does your monitor have multiple inputs? VGA/HDMI/DVI, etc? If so, make sure you have the correct source selected. If it does not work, then try a different monitor, if that doesn't work, try to switch your memory modules to different slots. If that doesn't work, try with a spare memory module. If that doesn't work... Well.. let us know and we'll think of something else.

16 hours ago, Vadise said:

Does your monitor have multiple inputs? VGA/HDMI/DVI, etc? If so, make sure you have the correct source selected. If it does not work, then try a different monitor, if that doesn't work, try to switch your memory modules to different slots. If that doesn't work, try with a spare memory module. If that doesn't work... Well.. let us know and we'll think of something else.

So i've tried all of your tips but nothing seemed to be fine for me.....

The next step would be checking if the GPU is at fault. Move the GPU to a different PCI-E slot. If it fails still, try on board graphics. If on board graphics work, then at least we know the board, CPU and RAM are not dead.

If you have a weak GPU laying around, try that one.

I am thinking your PSU is too weak, 450W may be on the limit and sure, it worked last week, but running on the limit for any extended period of time will degrade it's performance. It is generally very unhealthy for all the components as well, not just the GPU.

Edited by Vadise
Re written to be clearer.

6 minutes ago, Vadise said:

The next step would be checking if the GPU is at fault. Remove the discrete GPU and try on board graphics, if it works, then put the GPU back in, if it fails, then try a different PCI-E slot.

But I am thinking your PSU is too weak, 450W may be on the limit and sure, it worked last week, but running on the red line will speed up it's degradation.

If you have a weak GPU laying around, try that.

i don't have a weaker gpu but the onboard graphics works just fine. i think i'll buy a new psu.... wich wattage do you recommend for my build? 500 or 550w??

Do you have any other machine where you could try the GPU on before you spend any money, just to be on safe side? I strongly recommend you first make sure the card works. As for a PSU, I am using the Cooler Master V650 it should work for your setup, Seasonic has some great quality PSUs as well, the 80PLUS certifications are a semi-reliable way to tell the quality, but 500-600W and up will serve you well.

5 hours ago, Vadise said:

Do you have any other machine where you could try the GPU on before you spend any money, just to be on safe side? I strongly recommend you first make sure the card works. As for a PSU, I am using the Cooler Master V650 it should work for your setup, Seasonic has some great quality PSUs as well, the 80PLUS certifications are a semi-reliable way to tell the quality, but 500-600W and up will serve you well.

strangely today i booted it and it seemed to work fine until the next reboot where it restarted to not sending signals so i think the gpu is working....

This nifty tool can test if your PSU is working or not. I recommend getting it so you don't waste a whole ton of money on a new power supply that doesn't fix the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Supply-Tester-PCI/dp/B005UZHB6G?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005UZHB6G&linkCode=as2&linkId=67RQTKWT6KBPFTUA&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=techs096-20

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

I have one of those. It is useful to detect a spiky supply, but it doesn't really apply any sort of load, many times, PSUs will perform well with the tester (they could be considered idle), but when you put any sort of stress on them, they collapse. But now we can say that your PCI-E slots work and your board is unhurt, and your card works.