Is buying a 2006 mac pro with 2x CPU slots and 8 RAM slots worth it to this day?

Snotrap

Is buying a 2006 mac pro with 2x CPU slots, 8x RAM slots and 5 disk slots worth it?

I'm considering buying a 2006 mac pro so I can set it up in my office to dj and produce music/video. If purchased i will install osx Yosemite and a virtual machine. Minimum specs for what i need: 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, CPU @ 2.5+ and a decent graphics card, upgradable if affordable. I can pick one up for about AU$250-$350. I'm not sure if there are any low budget machines that can outperform the decade old machine. Very much appreciated if replyed to.

I will also go with a decent windows machine IF capable of becoming a Hackintosh

Would REALLY like a machine running OSX

Budget-AU$300

Cheers! :D

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

4 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

Is buying a 2006 mac pro with 2x CPU slots, 8x RAM slots and 5 disk slots?

I'm considering buying a 2006 mac pro so I can set it up in my office to dj and produce music/video. If purchased i will install osx Yosemite and a virtual machine. Minimum specs for what i need: 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, CPU @ 2.5+ and a decent graphics card, upgradable if affordable. I can pick one up for about AU$250-$350. I'm not sure if there are any low budget machines that can outperform the decade old machine. Very much appreciated if replyed to.

Budget-AU$300

Cheers! :D

You'll probably face issues with the generation of CPU and memory that can be installed into the logic board of that Mac Pro.  So I don't think it will be a good idea, even if you get it cheap.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

yeah, considered that and i can get 2 decent xeon processors for about AU$50

My Machines:

True, I just need a budget pc capable of running Adobe Premiere Pro, After effects and Serato Dj Pro

My Machines:

Just now, Snotrap said:

True, I just need a budget pc capable of running Adobe Premiere Pro, After effects and Serato Dj Pro

I can highly suggest you try find an X79 motherboard, then grab a Xeon on ebay for $50-70. 

I have the Xeon E5-2670 myself that I paid $70 for. Comparable to a 6 core X99 part today so awesome performance.

Great idea! Thanks man, i will do some research

My Machines:

Ok @elpiGee, Im thinking of putting the x79 motherboard and the  i7-3970X. Opinion?

My Machines:

Thanks for the help man. Made up my mind for the next 5-7 hours probably :D 

My Machines: