New PC build

phobos0001

Hi Guys,

First time poster/viewer

I'm planning a pc build in a few months and just wanted some pointers, I have built a ton of systems in the past and am confident in installing hardware/software.

however, I have been out of the PC gaming/building scene since oh.....2001-2002, and It looks like LOTS has changed, looks like the old Radeon 9800 Pro isn't top of the hill anymore.

currently I have "An Laptop" not realy worth mentioning, so this is basically starting from scratch. (this thing shipped with XP it's that old)

Planning to spend AUD$1000 amongst the core components, mobo, cpu, graphics card, SSD for the OS, ram and psu.

I am not a massive audiophile so i'd say onboard sound will be just fine, my primary usage will be of course gaming, primary kerbal space program is pretty much all I play at the moment. although I'm sure that will change once I have a more capable rig.I do not need much in the way of multi-tasking as I do not stream/upload anything (inafact this system will unlikely ever even see the internet)

only other thing I might look at using this for is using it in my down-time to mabey help do some number crunching, perhaps prime95 or similar

I'm happy to build my own case around whatever hardware, space and noise are NOT an issue at all, and i have zero interest in cosmetic pieces.

My primary issue here is that I keep trying to justify higher end components as "future-proofing" and I'm a bit unsure of what I should hold back on and what I should be shelling out for better parts.

In my mind I'm thinking that the highest clock speed on the CPU and GPU would be better with lower core counts as I generally don't do much multi-tasking.

I will sort out the peripherals, monitor, etc later on. cheers for any assistance.

also open to any advice on places to get cheaper parts, either local or import (I am patient if nothing else)

feel free to ask me any questions to help nail down a better response, and yeah, thanks again for any information

Something like that maybe could do well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($273.00 @ IJK) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($57.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($53.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($339.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($32.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $1006.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-09 17:04 AEST+1000

But, as usual. Wait for more suggestions from the community, I'm not 100% sure of the case and the SSD. If you want to "future proof" a bit, get a 8GB RX 480 or the GTX 1060 6GB depending on which suits the games you play based on DX 11/DX 12 benchmarks.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

32 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Something like that maybe could do well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($273.00 @ IJK) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($57.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($53.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($339.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($32.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $1006.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-09 17:04 AEST+1000

But, as usual. Wait for more suggestions from the community, I'm not 100% sure of the case and the SSD. If you want to "future proof" a bit, get a 8GB RX 480 or the GTX 1060 6GB depending on which suits the games you play based on DX 11/DX 12 benchmarks.

Thanks for the speedy response,

I'll chop out the storage drive and the case because I do not require either, 120gb will fit the OS and KSP standalone, this is pretty much all I need.

as for the case, I'll fabricate that into  the desk I'm making, saving a few more dollars.

I'm still way out of date although those quicktech videos arent bad for a very breif catch up session, so thanks to the LTT team for all their hard work (sorry I dont have memberships with most sites so I cannot subscribe or like vids but thanks so much)

29 minutes ago, phobos0001 said:

Thanks for the speedy response,

I'll chop out the storage drive and the case because I do not require either, 120gb will fit the OS and KSP standalone, this is pretty much all I need.

as for the case, I'll fabricate that into  the desk I'm making, saving a few more dollars.

I'm still way out of date although those quicktech videos arent bad for a very breif catch up session, so thanks to the LTT team for all their hard work (sorry I dont have memberships with most sites so I cannot subscribe or like vids but thanks so much)

Consider a 240GB SSD drive, will keep you well equipped. Trust me, 120GB is too little.

You don't need a Vessel subscription, there isn't any "tech" exclusive content there as far as I know. You just need to wait a week before the new video comes to youtube.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Thanks again, advice heeded. 

Also Is it worth getting a 4K monitor yet, 1080 still looks pretty good, but haven't had the chance to see 4K quality physically yet. 

Or am I better putting this off for a few months until usb c and other new advances become more mainstream?