Do you have specific rules when using computer?

Mariius

I am a computer science student, so I need to spend a lot of time in front of my computer. It is not a secret that my computer most of the time is my tv, and newspaper and mp3 player and so on. What I am trying to say is that I use my computer a lot and I think my eyes are very tired of that. I have dark circles under my eyes for a couple of years now and I can't get rid of them. No under-eye cream treatments work, drinking vitamins doesn't help either. Basically, the fact why I am unable to have a deep conversation with long eye contact with anyone is because all od the time I think how horrible my under-eye's look like.

So, here is the point where I would like to ask you for some information. I guess, most of the people from this forum use their computer a lot, which is perfectly fine. I would like to ask you, do you have any strict rules when using your computer? How do you make sure that you are able to, for example, write code for a long time, and make sure that your eyes are not being tortured? Maybe you have specific routine of exercises that you do every x minutes when using computer? Please, do share that information in this thread.

Though I am a heavy computer user, I often look away from the screen and look at something else, though it's most often just my phone or to drink some tea.

I know a guy where I work (he's a programmer, I'm not) and some days he can sit there all day just looking at a 24" white screen with some black text, he'll often just fall asleep and start snoring, we all torment him for it. But on days like that he always needs to get a glass of water just so he can hydrate his eyes.

Sorry I have no real advice just sharing my experiences with the situation you find yourself in.

Now I can pretty much sit in front of my screen all day, and I don't really feel the effects, though I do drink cups of tea a lot, so I'm up at least every hour or two to go downstairs and make one - suppose that helps.

Thanks, Jono.

The worst thing is that if you are a programmer, you are doomed to torture your eyes in front of an lcd with white background and small black letters. Also, we all know the problem with blinking. It is impossible to "remember" to blink and work at the same time.

Anyway, thanks OPSJono, I guess I am going to start drinking more tea :)

I suffer from the same thing, I'm not sure if it's genetic or not, my mom says it is and she gets the same thing, but it's definitely not as bad as mine. It kind of pisses me off when people at school ask if I'm wearing eye-shadow (wtf) but whatever, so do a lot of people. I'm dehydrated a lot so I'm going to try to actually start drinking more water than I do now. Apparently that helps.

I doubt it's from using the computer though (in my case). My eyes never really feel strained when using a PC for long amounts of time, only if I'm tired. I definitely should sleep more but that's kind of hard as a high-school student in gAyP classes.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

The hardest thing is to hear someone say "Are you sure that you are okay? You don't look so good, maybe you should go home, I think you are sick."

Talking about drinking water, I am trying to drink at least 1.5 litres per day, but most of the time, I fail... I guess I do need to put more attention into it.

Thanks for sharing your routine, TwispF4!

Nothing special, but the skin above my right eye is sometimes very dry and flaky. My mom is always like HURRDURR ITS FROM COMPUTUH but I'm sure it's not because it's only above my right eye and I also had it while not using a computer for like three weeks.

Parents always blame everything on the pc :D

I have a solution for all you guys.

Instead of using cheap TN panels use a true IPS panel and all your eye strain will disappear. Now I know IPS is more expensive and a waste of money if all you are doing is programming. But do a little research and you'll find that it's true, IPS panels are much easier on the eye compared to cheap LCD's. I do quite a bit of photo editing and a while back I got me a nice Dell U2311H IPS monitor and was amazed how much easier is on the eye.

Will never go back to TN no matter how fast they are.

Corsair 800D - Corsair HX 1000 - Gigabyte X58A-UD5 - Intel Core i7 975 Extreme - Corsair H100 - Palit GTX 480 - 12GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz - Samsung 830 240GB - Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" IPS

Nothing special, but the skin above my right eye is sometimes very dry and flaky. My mom is always like HURRDURR ITS FROM COMPUTUH but I'm sure it's not because it's only above my right eye and I also had it while not using a computer for like three weeks.

Parents always blame everything on the pc :D

Yes they do.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

although i am not a coder, or anything, and I havent had any dark circles yet[it maybe because i am brown :) ]

but in a call center[bpo] we had to actually look at the screen for almost 8hrs a day.

so here is what I learned, work in a well lit environment. just make sure there is some light in the room you are working. dark rooms tend to increase the effect of the lcd brightness.

secondly, turn down the brightness of the monitor, even contrast and gamma, turn them down as much as possible. make sure that its comforting to your eyes. or else, poor quality display also tends to hinder your vision. and hence as shutter boy suggestd for IPS, go ahead if you can, but a good quality tn panel should also do the trick

thirdly, the distance between your eyes and your monitor, dont be too close to it. although it happens instinctively.

finally, get into some physical exercise, mostly cardiovascular ones, it will help in blood circulation, and it will make you drink more water as well. also, dont measure how much water you drink, just have a sip of water every few minutes. I believe you guys are good at typing with one hand :D

I started to use steelseries/gunnar scopes and that really made difference for me. No more dry eyes and so many headaches. I also add more light in room when I use pc.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

The hardest thing is to hear someone say "Are you sure that you are okay? You don't look so good, maybe you should go home, I think you are sick."

Talking about drinking water, I am trying to drink at least 1.5 litres per day, but most of the time, I fail... I guess I do need to put more attention into it.

Thanks for sharing your routine, TwispF4!

I agree I dont get as much water as i should. I should put the cooler next to my desk....

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I suffer from the same thing, I'm not sure if it's genetic or not, my mom says it is and she gets the same thing, but it's definitely not as bad as mine. It kind of pisses me off when people at school ask if I'm wearing eye-shadow (wtf) but whatever, so do a lot of people. I'm dehydrated a lot so I'm going to try to actually start drinking more water than I do now. Apparently that helps.

I doubt it's from using the computer though (in my case). My eyes never really feel strained when using a PC for long amounts of time, only if I'm tired. I definitely should sleep more but that's kind of hard as a high-school student in gAyP classes.

I GET THE SAME THING! But hey we wont ever have to pay for eye shadow if we start play acting....

1.Have the keyboard perfectly centered with the monitor.

2. No food near or around desk.

3. Ignore number 3 if u are hungry.

Thats about it.

Don't forget to go outside, away from your computer, once in a while ;)

I'm an IT student too, so i spend a lot of time in front of my computer. However, i go for a 4KM walk like 4 times a week just to get away from that screen (if the weather allows it).

It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to complete that walk, but it's really good because it allows you to get some fresh air and relax for a bit.

You might think it's a very long break, but it's time well spent.

Also, make sure you sleep enough each night, drink enough and eat healthy things such as fruit.

As Jozi said, I think that if you use the computer for extended periods of time often then I think a pair of gunnar optiks (yes I can spell) definitely helps in some way or another.

Some people believe in that 20-20-20 rule thing. 20 minutes looking at screen, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

No one does that though :P Or if they do they look at their screen for 20 hours, 20 minutes eating and 20 hours asleep.

My rules... Wash my hands before touching keyboard.

Some people believe in that 20-20-20 rule thing. 20 minutes looking at screen, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

No one does that though :P Or if they do they look at their screen for 20 hours, 20 minutes eating and 20 hours asleep.

My rules... Wash my hands before touching keyboard.

I agree I always clean my hands before using my keyboard or mouse. Yes I use the computer for 2 hours eat for 20 minutes and sleep for 6.....

Definitely don't keep your monitor's backlight on full blast. I initially had my LED-backlit monitor on full brightness and it got pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Also, I don't know whether this actually helps or it's just a placebo effect, but my desktop wallpaper changes every 10 minutes and it seems to make my eyes feel better.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Thanks for all those tips guys :) I really appreciate it.

It is a fact that I am going to buy a high quality IPS display, because for coding, cheap laptops monitor is definetly not the best idea. Only the problem is that at the moment I can't afford buying external monitor, so this will only happen in maybe 3 years, when I finish university and get a job.

I always dim my display, but the changing wallpaper was new to me. Maybe I will try that.

I go outside every day. Sometimes it is for 3 hours, sometime for 4, sometimes only for 30minutes, but I do enjoy walking.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips again :)

Wearing glasses, I keep two pairs for different uses. One is for every day tasks, while the others have a specific tint for working/playing on my computer. Without those, I get some killer eye strain. You could always look into those gunnerz glasses, since they use the same tint as my computer glasses do.

Other than that, drink water, force yourself to spend time looking away from the screen, and be wary of the brightness of your screen relative to the lighting in your work space.