Raspberry Pi Project Ideas

I am planning on getting a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, but I'm not sure on what to do with it. What would be a fun way to experiment with it?

I have personally always wanted to mess with one to see how it handles small Teamspeak or Mumble servers and have always though about getting one to use it with Kodi as a media center. Let me know what you end up doing with yours!

7 minutes ago, Anthrofascist said:

I am planning on getting a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, but I'm not sure on what to do with it. What would be a fun way to experiment with it?

Missile guidance chip.

I'm getting a Pi Zero to use as my streaming PC.

I kid.

Actually, I'm wanting to mess around with a simple, low-cost single room 'security' system of sorts.

I have been using it for a while, here are some projects I have tried or am about to try:

1. Using Relays to control the house lights and other appliances

2. Using MFRC522 chips to read RFID tags.

3. Security System: cameras, various sensors

4. Overclocking using various setups, air coolers, liquid coolers.

5. Super Computer using 4 more PIs

My overall goal is to make a smart house, I want to be able to control every appliance from my PC/Phone, while also having a security system and fun things like doors that can open/close when I am near them.

There is one last project we are working on now... a real Yu-Gi-Oh! duel disk.

One of the cool Projects that I debated doing for a long time, is using the pi as a command chip for a quadcopter controlled via rf frequency. Due to it's lower cost than most quadcopters you can enjoy not only the build but also the actual flight time with the device. Keep in mind your local airspace guidelines and regulations however.

I only have a pi 2, but i plan on either upgrading to 3, or just sticking with 2 and using it in my next cosplay outfit for SLC Comic Con 2018 or 2019, Im going to go as Totoro, and plan on many things with the head such as animatronics, and cameras instead of mesh for vision, for the vision a couple rasberry pi cameras with a fees switcher and/or some software tricks to generate a faux 3D image with both cameras on the monitor. As for animatronics I plan on having at least opening mouth, blinking/minor facial expressions, and some tail stuff, not to mention sound clips to play along with mouth opening. This will be my second costume, (first fully hand made) so if all goes well i should easily win the amateur division of the contest they hold with it, if not oh well i learned some neat tricks on the Pi.

P.S If needed I will use multiple Pi's, and as for wight as long as i build with no more than 200Lbs of equipment i should be fine.

Nothing to see here, move along

A friend and I are actually planning to use one to build a quadcopter drone, I'm more just trying to learn by watching what he does, but so far it seems like a pretty neat project.

I would like to see something like a PDA. Strap a resistive touchscreen, decent-size battery and install a palm emulator. and make all-in-one or mod and old pda case to fit all of these.

On 9/6/2016 at 0:34 PM, Anthrofascist said:

Actually, there's a lot of ideas to do with this Mini PC. If you like retro gaming. make it an Retro Console or a Portable Handheld Retro Console. there's a lot of tutorials on Youtube on how to make. If you want other fun projects. Try to look on instructables. :)

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

When it comes to the raspberry pi yours skills are your only limitation but the best thing about the pi is that it's the perfect to hone and improve yours skills. Accidentally blow it up no big deal there are bunch of easy starter projects out there but my favourite one is from Make.com on how to make a pirate radio station (check your local laws before doing it though as it can be super duper illegal like it is in England also I'm not responsible if you get in trouble) 

I lurk a lot

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

If you use Plex, you can get RasPlex (http://www.rasplex.com) which is a dedicated Plex streaming box build for the Pi. If you're more into emulators, there's RetroPie (https://retropie.org.uk). And then there's always Instructables (http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/category-technology/channel-raspberry-pi/). I found a guide on there to make my Pi a Bluetooth audio receiver. It wasn't too hard, and having some Linux background helps. They're fun little computers. The great thing is you can buy a bunch of SD (or microSD, depending on your model) cards and have different builds on each one. All you have to do is power down the Pi, swap cards, boot it up with a different card, and then you have a completely different tool at your disposal.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:53 AM, Azmothel said:

One of the cool Projects that I debated doing for a long time, is using the pi as a command chip for a quadcopter controlled via rf frequency. Due to it's lower cost than most quadcopters you can enjoy not only the build but also the actual flight time with the device. Keep in mind your local airspace guidelines and regulations however.

Sorry, but it would be easier just to buy a purpose built flight controller for $25. Not to mention it would fly infinitely better. 

I've always wanted a personal email server on one, but my pi1 a never was able to boot into an os properly. 

ASU

I got mine this week and ive tried a few things on it. Tried to run Android TV on it - ui is smooth but video is broken but that's just because the build is alpha. I have tried to run retropie on it to see how it handles retro games, It runs all 8 and 16 bit games amazingly however play station games are a mixed bag I had to overclock the cpu to 1.35Ghz to get a constantly smooth frame rate on older ps1 games the later games do dip to 20ish frames in more demanding areas. n64 is also a little rough in areas but other than that its been a great experience. 

I might get another one and run Tonido for pi on it to make my own cloud storage server.