HDD utilization 100% but 0KB/s read/write speed

Fortress

I tried playing Kerbal Space Program on my WD Blue HDD, but it just froze. I tried consulting the task manager and it showed me that the drive was at 100% but the read and write speed was at 0, so no data was being read, or even written on the disk. Is there a problem I'm facing or is this just normal? I'm (most) probably misinformed about read/write speeds but this just seemed too odd. 

UPDATE: It sometimes dips below 3% but then goes back to 100%. Weird.

SC.PNG

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

Strange........ Have you tried a firmware update? 

Oh! I have an idea. I know someone a little bit that's good with HDDs and storage. They might be able to help, most likely better than I can. 

@Captain_WD 

Doctor, we need an examination! :D

On 4.09.2016 г. at 8:52 AM, Fortress said:

~snip~

Hi there Fortress :)

Are you experiencing any other issues with this drive such as slow transfer speeds, performance or freezes? Any abnormal noise coming from the drive? 

I'd try testing its health with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. 

Try checking the resource monitor and see if it can give you more info on what is keeping the drive busy. 

Also, check if you have an antivirus or anti-malware application running or if the OS updater is keeping the drive busy. Try disabling one of these and see if the issue persists. 

Thanks @IAmLamp for mentioning! :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Houston, we have a problem.

Just 8 seconds into the Quick SMART Test and then this error message popped up. All programs and files running from/accessing the disk has been closed. What should I do?

SC2.PNG

EDIT: Retried the test, did the same after a minute or so.

SC3.PNG

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

22 hours ago, Fortress said:

~snip~

Houston here, problem confirmed. Abort mission, we repeat, abort mission. Commence data backup and eject the data capsule ASAP. In case the capsule is under warranty feel free to use the RMA parachute for smoother landing, otherwise feel free to dump it in the deep sea.

Jokes aside, the drive does seem to have a problem. Do the tests again on a different computer with a different cable just to exclude these factors as the potential causes of the issue and if the drive is still under warranty feel free to contact our support and proceed with the RMA. 

But before doing anything make sure you have solid backups of the valuable data inside the drive. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/