Ok so let me start off by saying that I am brand new to the PC building world and this is incredibly exciting.  Please dont kill me for not knowing much, thats why I'm here! So I will get straight to it then.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is not completely set in stone.  Lets say we are working somewhere in the range of 500-850 US dollars.  Now if that is lower that what I will need in the end, please specify as to why and if it is worth spending that amount right now, or are prices expected to drop if I wait on certain parts.  As for the location if you haven't guessed already, its the United States.  

2. Aim

This system will primarily be used for streaming first person shooters from my Xbox One (and hopefully PS 4 in the near future).  Also I would like to do some video editing for my YouTube channel.  The editing seems to be working fine on my dual core i5 laptop as of right now, so that isn't a giant issue.  I would like to stream in 1080P 60fps. I don't really plan on playing any games directly on my desktop. Someone recommended the i7 6700k and it seemed appealing, any thoughts?

3. Monitors

I currently have two BenQ RLHM2455 (I believe) monitors.  The resolution on the monitors are 1080P with a 75 refresh rate after some tweaking I believe.  At most, I hope to be able to use three monitors for more room to work in the distant future.  For now the two I have will suffice. 

4. Peripherals

I do believe I need an OS.  I am not completely sure? Is there a way to get windows 10 for free still?  I wasn't really calculating the price of the OS into my budget.  Maybe a very cheap keyboard too.

5. Why are you upgrading?

The reason why I am upgrading is because my ASUS Zenbook UX303:

• Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.70 GHz, 8 GB DDR3L RAM 256 GB Solid State Drive Storage
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500 with shared graphics memory

doesn't seem to be doing a very good job when I try to stream with OBS.  If I do an overlay with a webcam and add music there is a lot of dropped frames and lag in the stream.  Also I get a message in OBS saying "high CPU usage, consider turning down settings".  

Side note (probably important)

So I decided that I would start capturing my Xbox One with an Elgato device now instead of streaming it to my laptop via the Xbox app.  Maybe if I did not stream it to my PC with the app and instead captured the gameplay with an Elgato and just used OBS to stream, it would perform better? Also I just ordered the Elgato HD60 but am considering returning it for the HD60s as I like the virtual 0 latency that one offers.  That being the case, the system requirements for the HD60s are much higher than what my laptop has to offer.  HOWEVER the system requirements for the HD60 is a second generation i7 2xxx with 4gb RAM.  Is that better or worse than what I have?

Does anyone have experience with running a similar laptop with an external capture device and OBS? Is it possible to get a good stream like that?  

Should I just go with the upgrade?  

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!  Thanks loads for the help guys!

Well, if you only intend to capture from a console and then stream, I'd say you just get a beefy external capture device. Avermedia has some good ones that you can put storage in and all sorts of things. And if your laptop does what you need to do in terms of editing, I say you keep it until you find you need more muscle.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y99mr7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y99mr7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($198.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($32.46 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.48 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($265.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1059.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

i7 / 1060 3G mATX build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($56.44 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($65.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 3GB ($199.99)

^Amazon Link
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.94 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($28.00) 

^Get a cheap key from Kinguin.net / https://youtu.be/yXTqz3Fd28M
Total: $840.37 - $10 rebate

33 minutes ago, Mi26 said:

~snip

Did you not see his budget?

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

13 hours ago, antisleep said:

i7 / 1060 3G mATX build

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.38 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

^Amazon Link
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.94 @ Amazon) 

Hello,

I like your build quite a lot and I was just wondering what the difference was between your build and the others that posted, other than the price.  I'm not too informed on the specific parts mentioned so I am a bit confused about the major differences between the builds.  Also someone mentioned the Asus z170-a (which I know is a 100 more) but whats the difference between that mother board and the one you listed?

Also will I need the geForce? isnt there an integrated graphics card? I dont plan on doing any gaming on the device itself.

13 hours ago, antisleep said:

i7 / 1060 3G mATX build

^Amazon Link

Also what does "~snip" mean, another poster commented that.

13 hours ago, Vadise said:

Well, if you only intend to capture from a console and then stream, I'd say you just get a beefy external capture device. Avermedia has some good ones that you can put storage in and all sorts of things. And if your laptop does what you need to do in terms of editing, I say you keep it until you find you need more muscle.

will the beefy external cap device take enough load off of my computer for me to be able to stream at 1080p 60fps?

26 minutes ago, ArchetypeGameplay said:

will the beefy external cap device take enough load off of my computer for me to be able to stream at 1080p 60fps?

Yeah.

1 hour ago, ArchetypeGameplay said:

Hello,

I like your build quite a lot and I was just wondering what the difference was between your build and the others that posted, other than the price.  I'm not too informed on the specific parts mentioned so I am a bit confused about the major differences between the builds.  Also someone mentioned the Asus z170-a (which I know is a 100 more) but whats the difference between that mother board and the one you listed?

Also will I need the geForce? isnt there an integrated graphics card? I dont plan on doing any gaming on the device itself.

Mine is a mATX build w/c means the motherboard is smaller than the regular ATX size. mATX boards are cheaper cuz they lack extra slots like SATA, RAM, PCIE and fan headers. They're capable of fitting in smaller cases.

In your case you don't seem to be needing those extra slots so I went with mATX and it's the perfect way to save to be able to fit in a GTX 1060 gpu. The i7 in the build is the non overclocked version, so there's no need for an aftermarket cooler and a more expensive Z170 motherboard.

The ASUS Z170-A is a standard sized ATX motherboard for overclocking - w/c something you don't need. But if you decide to then you're gonna have to make a few changes in my build: a bigger case, aftermarket cpu cooler, more expensive K version of the i7. You're gonna lose the GTX 1060 in the process, w/c apparently you don't need.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Also what does "~snip" mean, another poster commented that.

I 'snipped' his entire post to just one word so my reply won't appear lengthy.

15 hours ago, Vadise said:

Just now, ArchetypeGameplay said:

sorry mistake

43 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Mine is a mATX build w/c means the motherboard is smaller than the regular ATX size. mATX boards are cheaper cuz they lack extra slots like SATA, RAM, PCIE and fan headers. They're capable of fitting in smaller cases.

In your case you don't seem to be needing those extra slots so I went with mATX and it's the perfect way to save to be able to fit in a GTX 1060 gpu. The i7 in the build is the non overclocked version, so there's no need for an aftermarket cooler and a more expensive Z170 motherboard.

The ASUS Z170-A is a standard sized ATX motherboard for overclocking - w/c something you don't need. But if you decide to then you're gonna have to make a few changes in my build: a bigger case, aftermarket cpu cooler, more expensive K version of the i7. You're gonna lose the GTX 1060 in the process, w/c apparently you don't need.

Alright so last few questions I suppose.  Will getting the Asus motherboard future proof my setup? Also if I take the gpu out will the price be around the same for the additions you mentioned?  Also I don't think I need the gpu right now, what do you think? I feel like I can add it later or add a less powerful one now for cheaper? Also I have a copy of windows 10 so thats another 100 I have to work with.  What are your suggestions considering all of this

9 minutes ago, ArchetypeGameplay said:

Alright so last few questions I suppose.  Will getting the Asus motherboard future proof my setup? Also if I take the gpu out will the price be around the same for the additions you mentioned?  Also I don't think I need the gpu right now, what do you think? I feel like I can add it later or add a less powerful one now for cheaper? Also I have a copy of windows 10 so thats another 100 I have to work with.  What are your suggestions considering all of this

Going with a 6700K build and no gpu would seem to be the wiser choice. It should be able to handle all the streaming and editing without need for a discrete gpu - I can't confirm this 100%. I'm pretty sure though that a discrete video card (equal to or greater to an on-board gpu) will always out-perform the on-board solution.

i7 6700K ATX / no OS

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 

^Chose this mainly for the acrylic side panel, you can cheap out and go for a more budget case if you want to tho
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $833.37 - $10 Rebate

Just stick a GTX 1070 on this in the future and you have a beast system capable of gaming at 1440p High-Ultra settings.

5 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Going with a 6700K build and no gpu would seem to be the wiser choice. It should be able to handle all the streaming and editing without need for a discrete gpu - I can't confirm this 100%. I'm pretty sure though that a discrete video card (equal to or greater to an on-board gpu) will always out-perform the on-board solution.

i7 6700K ATX / no OS

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 

^Chose this mainly for the acrylic side panel, you can cheap out and go for a more budget case if you want to tho
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $833.37 - $10 Rebate

Just stick a GTX 1070 on this in the future and you have a beast system capable of gaming at 1440p High-Ultra settings.

Im probably going to go with this as long as a capture card doesn't solve my problem with my current laptop.  I really appreciate your help! Also I love the acrylic side on the tower case, I was going to ask if you knew of a case that looked nice to fit this in.  I have a black and white setup with slight hints of red, knowing this would you make any substitutions to fit in the color scheme without giving up any power in the pc? Also I have a lot of dust that gathers and unfortunately this PC will more likely than not have to be on the floor, does this case have a filter or is there anything you would recommend for this issue? Sorry again for so many questions, Im just very new to this and find you very helpful.

Im probably going to go with this as long as a capture card doesn't solve my problem with my current laptop.  I really appreciate your help! Also I love the acrylic side on the tower case, I was going to ask if you knew of a case that looked nice to fit this in.  I have a black and white setup with slight hints of red, knowing this would you make any substitutions to fit in the color scheme without giving up any power in the pc? Also I have a lot of dust that gathers and unfortunately this PC will more likely than not have to be on the floor, does this case have a filter or is there anything you would recommend for this issue? Sorry again for so many questions, Im just very new to this and find you very helpful.

The build is already somewhat black and white. Mobo has white accents, white ssd. 

I'd probably just change the ram sticks to white: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FH2rxr/crucial-memory-bls2k8g4d240fsc (for $15 more)

If you're going to add a gpu go with the EVGA 1070 SC or FTW. The ASUS Dual has a pure white shroud but the big downside it doesn't have a backplate.

The case has front, top and bottom filters to reduce dust build up. When placed on the floor you're gonna find the front mesh gathering up dust faster than usual so you're gonna have to clean it regularly. I'd suggest adding another 140mm fan (Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK) on the front so you have a better positive air pressure inside your case for less dust settling in.

Here's the partpicker list with the parts included: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fGLQ6X

Total: $863.91 - $10 Rebate

Ignore the high shipping rates from Amazon, it should be free when the parts are added in the cart.

1 hour ago, antisleep said:

The build is already somewhat black and white. Mobo has white accents, white ssd. 

I'd probably just change the ram sticks to white: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FH2rxr/crucial-memory-bls2k8g4d240fsc (for $15 more)

If you're going to add a gpu go with the EVGA 1070 SC or FTW. The ASUS Dual has a pure white shroud but the big downside it doesn't have a backplate.

The case has front, top and bottom filters to reduce dust build up. When placed on the floor you're gonna find the front mesh gathering up dust faster than usual so you're gonna have to clean it regularly. I'd suggest adding another 140mm fan (Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK) on the front so you have a better positive air pressure inside your case for less dust settling in.

Here's the partpicker list with the parts included: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fGLQ6X

Total: $863.91 - $10 Rebate

Ignore the high shipping rates from Amazon, it should be free when the parts are added in the cart.

thank you very much! this will def take me a few weeks, but when im done ill be sure to update you on how it went!

To answer your question about the external capture devices, yes. Some even have additional microphone inputs for commenting and other doodads, they are made for the streamer, lets player crowd, so they will cater to those needs. I have not used one myself, since I am not charismatic enough or a good enough player overall but I do know some youtubers use Avermedia, ReviewTechUSA used to use one a year or so ago if I am not mistaken and I THINK ClassicGameRoom as well. Some more expensive ones allow for on-device video encoding for youtube. But whether you can do 1080p 60fps is entirely dependent on your device, the source and if you have a good enough connection. For one, this generation of consoles do not run at 1080 60, so it would be pretty overkill for you to buy a capture device that can handle that right now or even encode your videos at 60fps.

5 minutes ago, Vadise said:

To answer your question about the external capture devices, yes. Some even have additional microphone inputs for commenting and other doodads, they are made for the streamer, lets player crowd, so they will cater to those needs. I have not used one myself, since I am not charismatic enough or a good enough player overall but I do know some youtubers use Avermedia, ReviewTechUSA used to use one a year or so ago if I am not mistaken and I THINK ClassicGameRoom as well. Some more expensive ones allow for on-device video encoding for youtube. But whether you can do 1080p 60fps is entirely dependent on your device, the source and if you have a good enough connection. For one, this generation of consoles do not run at 1080 60, so it would be pretty overkill for you to buy a capture device that can handle that right now or even encode your videos at 60fps.

the xbox scorpio and ps4 neo should be able to at 60fps so i want to be able to future proof for that at least.  My internet speeds are good so ill try and see if an external device fixes my problem

I strongly recommend you read/watch reviews of the capture devices that catch your attention before purchase to make absolutely sure they do exactly what you need. The high end ones can get very costly.